Chrissreef's - 280 A.G.E. Treasure Chest (60x36x30)

Hi all, I posted this on RC but I'd like to keep a log here as well. For those that don't know me... I was a DFWMAS member '96-99 and recently returned to Dallas =) I have to say in advance that I apologize for not attending many meetings - things have been hectic, that's my only sad excuse =(

I’ve frequented RC over the last few years off and on and have thoroughly enjoyed looking at everyone’s tanks and seeing the hobby evolve. I have since graduated from high school, college, graduate school, lived in two states and gotten engaged! I hope you all enjoy the story of my tank and hobby as much as I will!

My story: As a diver for 18 yrs now and an environmentalist, I’ve come to greatly appreciate and respect the planet we all share. One Saturday I was “bored” and thought I’d take a drive to all the lfs’s in the area, including the one I worked at in high school. I checked out Melev’s website and found stores in the Dallas area. At my third stop I came to an empty building – apparently the fish store had burned down a few months earlier and was about a month away from re-opening… I was offered a part time job on the weekend! (I already work 8-5 m-f elsewhere). I thought this would be a good opportunity to “get my feet wet” without actually having to get into the hobby ($$) and was urged to jump in by my fiancée.

This soon changed and I ordered a 280 gallon A.G.E. Starfire aquarium! (60x36x30) After looking at the support of my apartment complex, I became nervous (4k lbs) and thought we probably shouldn’t live on the second floor! We quickly moved downstairs to a larger apartment (housing is too much $$, especially with wedding/aquarium planning and college debt payments going on) .

My responsible environmental side of course kicked in – we changed over to 100% wind electricity, I set up my first quarantine tank (avoid unnecessary losses), will utilize low wattage pumps (Tunze/ReeFlo) and I have pledged to purchase 100% aquacultured (not maricultured) SPS, 50% aquacultured Fish (ORA, Rod, Sustainable Aquatics, other?) and will use caution on any LPS aquacultured “claims” but will purchase what I can find. I was not able to find “branchy” aquacultured liverock unfortunately. I also didn’t want the tank to be “to big” and so felt the ~300g size was neither too big, nor too small.

Tank:
- 60x36x30 A.G.E. Starboard base, 1/2” Starfire front/sides, acrylic euro bracing, angled overflows, mirror back (I really enjoy mirror backs, they can often make the tank look twice as deep) I also went with these dimensions because I enjoy cube and “tall” tanks… I may have trouble with the depth and my arms but I’m hoping the view will be worth it.
- Bare bottom (yellow polyps, green star polyps, zoa’s and SPS stags to grow up from base
- 2x 400w Reeflux w/ Lumenbright large reflectors (high to avoid needing a chiller)
- ReeFlo Orca 250 skimmer, Octopus dual chamber Ca Reactor, Aqua Controller 3, ReeFlo Dart return
- 2x Tunze 6101, 7095 controller and still thinking on either 2x 6055 or 2x 6101 – will see based on rock layout
- Sump will have separated Chaeto, DSB, rubble areas (maybe miracle mud too)

alt="">

I’d like to give special thanks to the following; they’ve provided enormous help in helping me get this dream tank up and running!

Dallas Fort Worth Marine Aquarium Society members
Reef Specialty
Zoanuts
Oceaninabox

very nice tank i love the depth. i am also curious to see what the mirror back will look like (is it a treatment on the glass ?) gook luck with your build. Casey

@casey wrote:
very nice tank i love the depth. i am also curious to see what the mirror back will look like (is it a treatment on the glass ?) gook luck with your build. Casey said:
thanks =) I've used auto/mirror window tint in the past with great success... but I used an actual mirror this time incase I want to change it to a black/blue or fading blue background in the future. I can remove this easier. I will say, some fish go bezerk for 1-2 days before they figure it out =) I may put a mirror on the QT tank so they get used to seeing themselves... we'll see. The QT is 30g atm but I feel it's to small to QT tangs (the fish I "really" want to QT) - trying to figure that one out now.

@bimmerzs wrote:
Hi Chris said:
It may… in the past I’ve noticed fish fight themselves for 1-2 days and then never notice themselves again. I’ll also be quarantining fish and will probably introduce a mirror to the back of that tank once they are settle in so when they hit the main display, they won’t be phased by seeing themselves.
I also haven’t decided if I want to keep the back mirror clean… in the past I just let the coralline grow over it. I’m not sure about other people but to me, a black/blue gives a definite “size/shape” to the tank (really makes everything stand out though)… even with coralline covered mirror, the “gaps” in algae leave an infinite back to me.
@chrisrush wrote:
Looks good Chris. Do you have the link to the RC thread? said:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1383803

i really like the dimensions, good luck with it. cant wait to see more of the build! post a ton of pics!

@chrissreef wrote:
I’ll also be quarantining fish and will probably introduce a mirror to the back of that tank once they are settle in so when they hit the main display said:
Once they go to the new tank, you are effectively changing their location/ territory on the reef. They won't "recognize" themselves, they will just see another fish that looks like them. :) I understand your point, the blue background can still give a pretty good infinite look, if you keep the back glass scraped.

Cheers,

So I’ve been pretty busy wiring, plumbing (still not done lol skimmer/Ca reactor) and trying to get this up with everything else going on in life. I had a mishap this weekend… I wanted the ability to QT more fish at a time than my 30g can handle so I went out and bought a 55g and set it up in the living room. The store also had a very nice med/lg blue tang with a great personality that they’ve had for a while so I picked him up and decided the sm blue tang in QT I had at home I might give away (skittish little guy I’ve ever seen!). Well we were leaving town that evening and I thought I’d transfer some HOB filter media from the 30g, rock and some water into the 55g and everything would be fine. Well, I did just that and put the new med/lg blue tang into the tank and a small powder blue I also had in my 30g that the other small blue tang couldn’t handle – no way would he be able to push around a med/lg blue tang! I set the HoB filter up, UV sterilizer (I left it off for the moment, I just plumbed it) and we left town. Late the following evening we came home and my Fiancee opened the door… the first thing I heard was pumps running dry – one of the worst sounds a reefer could hear! The 55g had about 4” of water in it - apparently the UV plumbing had a leak and just pumped all the water onto the floor the moment we left! I quickly bagged up the stressed lg blue tang and floated him in the 30g – the powder blue was gone already =( I was sad because he’s been so strong in the 30g. Over the last few days the ammonia spiked slightly in the 30g and the lg blue tang has begun eating and acting like a normal hungry tang again. The sm blue tang also has a big buddy now so swims around – so now I may just keep him! I’ll get a picture of the two soon. I also steam cleaned the carpet – it began to smell and I can’t have that with a woman walking around! I’ll also re-set up the 55g again within the week so I can QT several more fish.

Tank status:
Wiring – done, I just need to mount the ballasts and power strips on the black wooden panels
P1010204.jpg
alt="">

Plumbing – I was missing a piece for the skimmer but Mike at Reef Specialty hooked me up so I’ll get the skimmer done this weekend. The Ca Reactor also needs to be plumbed – I’ve just been too busy!

Skimmer and Ca Reactor will be fed off the main pump – this is for electricity savings (yea, me with 2 QT tanks is talking about electricity! ( 55g is temporary though) and since pressure is more constant from this pump than a powerhead. We'll see if the Dart is sufficent to do this. There are 4 active ballvalves (skimmer, 2 returns, Ca Reactor) and 3 threaded openings available for reactors, chiller if needed (closed off for now)

P1010202.jpg
alt="">
P1010203.jpg
alt="">

Sump – Since I’m going bare bottom I decided to have a compartmentalized sump… rubble, Chaeto, DSB in separate sections. This is for easier maintenance and incase I want to take something out I can do so without disrupting several environments.

sump3.jpg
alt="">

Ca Reactor =)

P1010205.jpg
alt="">

Tank shot - almost there!
P1010197.jpg
alt="">

On Thursday the replacement Dart wet-end arrived (GREAT manufacturer customer service imo!) and on Friday my LR came in! It’s been a long journey and despite the day being exactly 365 days away from our upcoming wedding, my lovely Fiancee was wonderful and let me focus on the tank since I had been waiting so long for this day to come. 350lbs of 18-24” Tonga Fusion arrived at 11:30pm and I stacked until around 6am (I was sleep deprived and was barely functional at that point! lol). I pulled each rock from the box, looked into each hole for unwanted pests (I would shoot seltzer water in if I did – the rock is more of a fused branch with less holes for unwanted critters to be in). I came across about 4 dead crabs and 2 alien life forms… I have no idea what they were. Other than that, the rock was pretty clean.

I then dipped/rinsed each rock in a bucket of salt water and then sat them in the black tub of water while I decided which piece would go where in the tank – and then I just stacked away – focusing on large rocks on the bottom and having large openings. I’m happy with both the LR and stacking (I need to stabilize one rock better… and put more carbon/phosguard on the tank which has very green water right now… as well as block off ambient sunlight from the nearby window)

My next tasks will be to get all Tunze's on, mount the electrical on the black panels by the skimmer and get the Ca reactor up.

crack.jpg
alt="">

P1010224.jpg
alt="">

P1010228.jpg
alt="">

Here’s the Reeflow 250 skimmer 4 hrs into operation – it has not had a vinegar bath.

P1010234.jpg
alt="">

P1010235.jpg
alt="">

Good luck with the barebottom, I don't know how many people around here are running it, so it will be interesting to see someones tank as it progresses. I don't recall another thread on here showing a barebottoms progress.

Umm there are several.

http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=2693

http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=20918

http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=26985&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=35619&start=0

Just a few

This is going to be awesoeme Chris