Chemiclean use

DFW

Membership Expired
After adding Chemiclean this morning, the water level in this system has dropped drastically! Is it because of the 2 airstones that I added last night, and/or, does this chemical cause the water to be more readily absorbed into the rock and sand, and/or, is it something else? Thank you in advance!

David

Thank you for your reply, Saltpro!
No, I turned off the skimmer and the GFO reactor this morning before adding.

David

There is a fog of evaporation coming off of main tank and frag tank, but I can't hardly believe this much is evaporating!

David

I found the problem! I had not closed off the airline that I have run outside to draw in fresh air, so it siphoned probably 4 gallons of water before I found it. Duh!

David

No, I mean the airline that goes to my skimmer, not an air pump. I ran it under my house thinking to get fresher air, and turned the skimmer off, and it siphoned down to the carbon filter I made for it. I guesstimate that I lost 1 scoop of Chemiclean

I still had some cyano after doing about 6 scoops of the Chemiclean, so I started another treatment after changing 20 gallons - I think I have about 95 gallons in the system. I put 8 scoops this time - would rather put too little than too much. I hope it gets rid of it!

Thanks for your help!

David

That's not nearly as bad - thanks for clarifying that for me. Good luck on beating that stuff.

Just as a followup, cyano looks to be gone! Yeah!

I'm running skimmer on low. It will still overflow your catch basin if you don't watch! I got a quart of clear liquid in the first 45 minutes. I wasn't expecting quite that fast.

Marc, thanks for your help!

David

Happy to help. Just plan on replacing lots of saltwater initially when you get your skimmer dialed in. It's not a big deal - heck, it's a mini water change. [smilie=wink.gif]

I only got about 3/4 gallon of skim in the first 2 hours, then it went back to normal.

David

I was afraid to use this in my tank, even after Marc said it was completely safe. But it IS the MIRACLE product that it claims to be. Can I nominate Mr. Boyd for some kind of Nobel prize, or something? I know he has helped mankind more than a bunch of folks that have already got one!

David

I have a buddy that swears by this stuff. I Guess I'll Have to hit him up for a dose for my tank. What was the dosing that you used?

I did a first dose that was about 60% of what they had recommended. I had to estimate the actual amount of water because of rock and sand displacement. When I saw that there was still SOME cyano, I did a 20% water change, and then did a dose that was 80% of what they recommended. I did it all by the instructions that came with it to the letter. Over 3 months with no cyano has been so good!

<u>Get some fresh air in your house when you do this, and run air stones!!!!!!!!</u> <u>Keep good circulation through this process!!!!!!!!</u> This is particularly important if your pH runs on the low side, I think, because that indicates carbon dioxide in the water, possibly, which displaces oxygen, which is also displaced, somehow, by Chemiclean. And you don't want all of that working against the oxygen levels in your water at the same time! <u>The pH could go horribly low</u> , I think!

Mr. Boyd for president!(A real good dose of ChemiClean up in Washington would probably restore truth, justice, and the American way! Anyone have a big crop duster?)

David