Cerith Snails?

jvswan

Premium Member
Hey all, I've been cycling my new nano for about three months. Lol. It is on my desk at work, and I haven't had time to go and put anything in it yet. This week I went to True Perc (I don't care for that store much, but that's about my only option in central Arlington where I work) and picked up some dragons breath macro (for color and nutrient absorption) and four "cerith" snails. At the time I thought they were ceriths, but when I got them to the office and started to acclimate them I noticed that they don't look like normal ceriths. For one thing they are about 3/4" to 1" long. And they have a black foot and a smooth shell. Here's one who was happy to pose for a photo.

tu9yda9e.jpg
alt="">

Now, after two days I see that they are leaving a pretty clear mark on the tank. Granted, there is some diatom action going on in there, but look at what those guys are doing to the rock! If it wasn't so stark, I'd be totally stoked! But, as it is, I'm slightly concerned.

hy7e5u3e.jpg
alt="">

So, I tried to identify these guys and it appears that they are Mexican Ceriths. I've never heard of them. Mexican Turbos, yes... But not Mexican Ceriths. Does anyone know if they are ok?

I once put some purple spiny urchins in my 125 and they ended up eating lots of coraline. My nice purple rock had white trails just like in the above photo. I ended up giving the urchins to another guy. But that is why I'm a bit concerned. I don't see any evidence of coraline yet, so perhaps these snails are just really good cleaners

What do y'all think?

They look like the cheap ones you can by at asian market. I bought about 100 of them when I had a deep sand bed. I knew a lot would die off which was fine as I had like 100 hermits that needed shells. Been about a year and switched tanks. New one has no sand and there is still about 20 of them alive. Most crabs still alive and using the shells for homes. If you buy from asian market make sure to test the salinity match it and over a week to bring it up; as it was very low when I bought mine.

Sent from inside the shark tank!

Asian market, huh? I bet True Perc gets a good markup as I paid $1.99 for each of them.

Here are a couple more photos. Hopefully less blurry...

epa5y7at.jpg
alt="">

hynetu2e.jpg
alt="">

BTW, the one on the sand had gone completely sub-substrate. I can see the sand move where it is at, and I can see its antennae. Not like a nassarius snorkel, though. Weird...

This is a pin I droped on the place I bought from. Cant remember the name but it is a big building. Hard to miss it.
240 Legacy Dr
Plano, TX 75023
United States

Sent from inside the shark tank!

So, these things totally rock! Within three days four of them had completely cleaned my rock and sand. Now I'm wondering if I should find a new home for a couple of them. Since I don't have anything else in the tank, I don't want them to starve.

Before:
upy4epez.jpg
alt="">

After:
3ypu9yhy.jpg
alt="">

Is this top pic them? http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+526+1159&pcatid=1159 I never noticed Florida Ceriths doing much. Might try some Mexicans.

Yes, that looks like them. They also bury themselves in the sand and move around. Great sand stirrers. I'm pretty impressed. I've had lots of snails, but these guys are cleaning machines.

I have four in my 5 gallon nano. I might want to trade out a couple, though. After a week now I'm afraid there isn't enough to clean up. Maybe I'll throw some fish food in there...