cannister filter question

randallftan

Membership Expired
hi, i currently have a pico running on an ecco cannister filter

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3607&cmpid=03csegpl&ref=6111&subref=AA&CAWELAID=525399651&cagpspn=pla

it came with some brown pelets but i added some poly fiber to pick up particles.

i was wondering if these brown pelets are any good or should i change it to carbon or something like chemi pure.

for those who are running cannister filters can you post what u put inside yours. brand of pelets and a brief description. thank you for your help.

I use to use a fluval when i first started out. Now with corals and a reef ready tank i have switched to the traditional sump, fuge, skimmer.
With the canister filter i treated it like a reactor. The fluval had a section of foam or floss to strain large chunks. I then use carbon, any kind will work. The reality is the carbon typically only cleans or lasts for a week or two so you have to change it often. The next chamber i would use like a phosban reactor with some phosfate/nitrate pellets. Then finally there are the bio media. The fluval includes these white ceramic tubes that over time break down and turn to dust. I switch to little bio-balls, the black ones.

As to your brown pellets I would take a guess they are either some kind of bio media or possibly a nitrate/amonia absorber. You would be advised to confirm with dr. Smith or ehiem as the what they really are. If they are the latter chances are they may be for fresh water and would be harmful in you saltwater aquarium.