Can anyone recommend a refugium?

We are trying to make our tank reef ready and we currently have a regular hang on filter and heard it's not good... So we are wanting a hang on back refugium and overflow box... Is there any you can suggest for a 60 gal Saltwater tank...

Perhaps I'm confused... generally speaking, making it reef ready means you are planning to drill it & incorporate a sump/refugium filtration system below the tank in the stand. However, perhaps you have misunderstood the terminology & have no plans to drill your tank.

If this is the case, you could spend some $$$ and purchase a CPR Backpack. They are designed for HOB refugiums & come in small, medium, & large sizes. I have had one in the past & it grew chaeto like crazy!

Or you could go cheap & turn a HOB filter into a refugium.... just put some sand & chaeto in it & a small light over it. Several people do it & I'm sure you could search HOB Refugium here or on RC (Reef Central) for more ideas.

Hahaha guess I may have used it wrong... I'm not drilling any holes at all the tank has been up and running... I meant we are wanting to get a refugium and since our tank isn't reef ready then we need a hob one.... Just didn't know Which brands would be the best.... I have a hangover filter but nothing special about it but I heard they aren't good.... I had never heard of turning it into a refugium... Also if I get a hob refugium do I need a overflow box??

generally people that add a fuge do so by adding a sump. If that's what you want to do, then yes you will need a overflow. If you're looking for just a protein skimmer, a CPR backpack may be a good choice for you since you can take out the bio bale and use cheato instead with a light. I have one I could sell cheap if you are interested in going that route.

Hey I was told at the that a fuge is a sump and that's all I needed... And an overflow box but I'm confused now lol.... How much are you selling your backpack fuge for? And a fuge and s protein skimmer are two diff things right

A refugium is a section in a sump. Check this link out: http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

Everything you need to learn about setting one up is there. I'll sell my backpack for $50 with pump included.

@unttrmptplyr wrote:
A refugium is a section in a sump. Check this link out: http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html Everything you need to learn about setting one up is there. I'll sell my backpack for $50 with pump included. said:
But you don't need a sump for the fuge right?? That's why they have hob ones? I honestly have no where to pute a sump under tank stand..... So you are selling a backpack fuge? Or protein skimmer?

I know what a sump is it just extends the volume of water.... And the fuge is the holder and filter of all the good stuff..... So I know you can have a fuge without having a sump....

Also what brand are you selling the CPR?

Yes you can get a HOB one, and what I'm saying is that you can modify part of the CPR backpack to include a fuge so you'll have both the skimmer part and a fuge part.

@Cwar21 wrote:
Also what brand are you selling the CPR? said:
CPR is the brand. Just take the blue bio-bale (link below) stuff out and replace with cheato and a light. That's it.

http://www.marinedepot.com/CPR_Bak_Pak_Protein_Skimmer_Hang_On_Venturi_Protein_Skimmers-CPR-CR1111-FIPSHOVS-vi.html

I should have chimed in here earlier but HOB refugiums are made in different sizes. You <u>can</u> get them with either a skimmer or without a skimmer. I got a large one with a skimmer incorporated as part of it. In order to enhance the performance of the skimmer, I chose to put the supply pump (Maxi Jet 1200) inside an overflow box (box with teeth) inside the display tank. This takes the skum off the surface.

If you do go HOB I would absolutely make sure to build an independent support for the base of it. It gets very heavy with all the substrate and water in it.

You can look on this link if interested in what I did.
http://dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=58718

Just skimming over this thread.

first I am glad you are considering a refugium.

second you might consider an in tank refugium which is just a partition (egg crate) a few inches from the glass. add sid lighting to keep the macro growing and then the are between the glass and partition is the refugium.

third if you want to do an external sump/refugium you should consider diy. Overflow can be build from pvc pipe fo $20. no need to drill the tank. The sump and refugiu themselves can be plastic storage containers. Add a pump and lights plus some macro algaes and you should be all set.

But with option 3 be sure to test power out, power return, and overflow failure to insure the system will not flood.

my .02

Thanks so much for More answers.... I built a DIY overflow... I got it off another forum while googling plans
Every one says this design works great and will restart siphon when needed.... I don't have a return pump at moment because I wanted to see how this would work... How can I test it without having the pump... I used 3/4 PVC pipe.. I just haven't installed a air check valve

Here is the thread to his
http://www.3reef.com/forums/i-made/nice-cheap-diy-overflow-29396.html

Hey this may sound so dumb but what was the hose for? I tried mine in a rubbermaid but am not getting the siphon started... I know it will work I just don't know what I'm doing wrong... It's not glued yet because I wanted to make sure it's all done first.. I can tell my intake piece is a little long but that's better than being too short lol..

Well I meant like outside with the water hose running water into bucket and overflow hanging on side of bucket. What I ended up doing was putting a nipple at top of overflow with water suction coming from return pump down in sump to keep my siphon.

On a side note I have a cpr style overflow I will part with for what I paid for it 30$. Otherwise I can send you photos of the one I made and used. It took quite a bit of tweaking the length of the pvc pipes.

okay the white pvc pipe one is mine

the gray is the guys from 3reef (coveys)

and the other is a diagram of what mine looks like.. kind of what i went off of...

but the only thing i need to add is a air check valve and maybe something else... covey ended up putting a little sideways piece on his intake and a filter type covering so snails didnt get sucked in and clog anything

The one I built had less pvc in the tank. It only had one pipe straight down and thats all there was inside the tank. Let me snap a couple photos.