Calcium Reactor setup

I got a used PM calcium reactor and I need to get it running.
I'm using an AC3 on a 125. I think I need to get another pH probe!?
I will probably put it in the sump somewhere because it's crowded everywhere else.
What about the media?

I don't know anything about it so if you have some suggestions LMK.

I've thought about making a secondary chamber, but not sure if it's a necessity.

TIA, Tim

I just drip my output down in to a cup and my ph probe from ACjr reads the output of the reactor.

Oh and I'm using the ARM media, but others use different media.

i had mine in the sump....it is good if you have room if it springs a leak then it goes into the sump.

for media i like gen x and koralinth i have a two chamber reactor

the reason for a second chamber is to buffer the effluent to a more normal ph before it goes into your tank. Only a necessity if ph is a prob or your corals ca consumption is really high

i would want a ph probe to monitor the calcium reactor and one monitoring the tank so your ac can shut off the co2 if ph goes out of whack in either if it was my tank and i was setting up a ca reactor

if you do add a second chamber

mrc makes an inline probe holder that goes between the first and second chamber

DEFINATELY use the larger media. If you don't the small stuff can get sucked into you lines and pumps, plus, it trap air bubbles. Just not good all together. Spend a little extra on the larger media, and it will work much better for you.

@blide wrote:
I just drip my output down in to a cup and my ph probe from ACjr reads the output of the reactor. Oh and I'm using the ARM media said:
So you have an extra pH probe in the cup or is it the only one. I know Marc's goes into a cup too.

I want the reactor for 2 reasons.
The calcium is staying around 400-420 so I want to boost it a bit.
I'm getting pH swings from 8.2 to 8.6 occasionally so I want to try to use it to keep it around 8.2 - 8.3 with the lower pH of the reactor effluent (is that right?).

Tim

Oh, I also have low Alk. It's still in the green but it's at the bottom. I can't remember exactly how they relate but this isn't going to help with that problem is it?

After over 10 years of marine tanks I'm just starting to get some more of the difficult corals that haven't done well for me in the past (partly because my lack of experience) so I need to start from the basics and see where my techniques are lacking. So, you won't be offending me if you want more info...like I was saying, my knowledge is over 10 years old, it's time I catch up. :)

I'm going to use this CO2 regulator.
I've talked to a couple of guys that are using the Millwuakee pH meter to control the CO2. What about using the ACIII's other pH port? I'm not really interested in ORP so I could use that port.

I'm just not sure how the affluent, CO2, and pH can all balance. For example, if the pH is high and I want to use more CO2 without producing more calcium how would I do that? Isn't there a negative affect of too much calcium?

that is prob best the regulator out on the market today in my opinion so good starting point

your aquacontroller will manage your ca reactor...but having a milwaukee will not hurt.

you reduce the effluent if ph is high not turn up the co2 from what i remember

here is a great article on setting up your ca reactor...if you have any questions feel free to send me a pm but this article should get you on your way to dialing in your ca reactor

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/sh/feature/index.php

Thanks Pampee, I've read that article before it just didn't have the info I was looking for.
Mike (MO) showed me his setup and I'll follow it but why did they recommend a dosing pump in that article?

@kuyatwo wrote:
that is prob best the regulator out on the market today in my opinion so good starting point said:
Good, I've seen a couple people dump their Milwaukee regulators for them.

@kuyatwo wrote:
your aquacontroller will manage your ca reactor...but having a milwaukee will not hurt. said:
That's what I was going to use but Mike brought up a good point that if the ACIII goes down or has a electrical burp then I'm screwed (I think Marc told me that too) but if neither one has full control there is some redundancy built in.

@kuyatwo wrote:
you reduce the effluent if ph is high not turn up the co2 from what i remember said:
If you adjust the effluent is it possible to through your calcium out of wack? I guess as long as the Milwaukee is working the pH will stay the same giving a set amount of burn therefore only releasing calcium as a product of only the pH level and not the volume of water through the unit.
I think once I get it plumbed I will understand the mechanics but it's still a little fuzzy until I do it.

Dale only uses crushed coral in his reactor..

here is proof that it works

http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=48328 :shock:

might try dr fosters as they had cheaper last time i priced it out

I found some locally. The reactor is in and water is flowing through it...yea! I've got to get some CO2 tubing and turn it on. I'll set the valve on the CO2 tank really low, and see if I can obtain the bubble count from there instead of the 'Aquariumplants.com' regulator and Milwaukee controller.
I'll post some results...I'm getting excited, mostly to control the high pH, Alk, and CA. I hope it works.
Thanks for the input and help everybody!