Calcium & Magnesium

digital_gods

Membership Expired
I wanted to bring to attention the importance of calcium and magnesium to the new hobbyist. When you start out into the reef side of the hobby, you will see a lot of talk about calcium level but not much talk about magnesium until someone has coral loss. The truth of the matter, knowing your magnesium levels in your tank is just as important as knowing your calcium levels. I highly recommend spending the money on a good combo ca/mg kit to test your water weekly. After a while, you will notice your tanks uptake about and adjust accordingly with Mg supplement. Alkalinity is important but if you use a 2 part calcium alkalinity dosing, your alkalinity should be in the right level. However, testing your alkalinity would be a good idea too. Happy reefing!

Not to mention if your mag is low and also your calc an alk until u bring mag up your efforts to bring calc and alk up are at a stand still because calc and alk dissolve in higher concentrations of mag

Also depends on your tank. LPS and softy dominate probably no need to worry as much. Heavy SPS probably warrants more attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk