Bubble tip just got sucked into my rio pump - Help!

[One of my bubble tip anemone's was making his way around the tanks and just got sucke up by one of my rio pumps. I turned the pump off and it is still in the intake any ideas help please
joe]

[I would take the pump/anemone out of the tank and place them into a smaller tubberware container full of water. Anemones are pretty hardy, and can survive being sucked up into powerheads. Not too long ago, I think it was Richard who had the same problem, and his didn't make it. You may want to try giving it a little help out, but don't try to force it....good luck.]

[okay I pulled the pump out he is in the intake part that is still in the tank. Still moving around but seems to be stuck. His tentacles are on both sides how do i move him. he was starting to split before he got stuck in there. I guess thats why he was moving around so much. Anything else I can do to give him a shove. I dont think i can cut the plastic off of him :very sad:]

[thanks I'll do that GEEZ! new to the hobby and things are happening already the clown seems to be going to him kind of picking at him. I'll be sitting by the tank for awhile]

[What part of the pump is he in? If it is the intake tube then you may be able to apply pressure from the inside while gently pulling and kneading him on the outside. If he is not in the pump itself then I would look at that because the suction has pulled him in far harder than he can pull out. I would try and help him. The stress of being caught in the tube may be worse than your helping to remove him.

good luck

Steve]

[This might be kind of dumb, but .... looking at my CAP 1800 and 2200, my Rio 2100, and couple of Maxijet 1200s ... how does something as big as a fish or an anemone get sucked up into a powerhead? Do people run them without the screens that come with them or something? I've seen small snails kind of sucked up against the screen, but never actually into the pump itself. What am I missing?]

[He's out :D And no i didnt remove any screens the pump has a funnel extension on the intake. i'm new so the pump may actually be a powerhead it sweeps back and forth. He is pretty bruised up anything I can do? any help would be appreciated]

[Just let him be. It should heal on its own.

Topic moved to its current forum.]

[Same song, new verse...

I bought my bubble tip last weekend and he did look happy all day. The first night he went for a walk and found my Iwaki internal recirc pump and in the moring the tank looked like anemone storm (pretty fluorecent tenticle tips and anemene chunks everywhere). Thought he would die for sure. I turned the pump off and freed the big guy and cleaned up the tank. He has remained in hiding under the rock near the inlet to the pump and finally (now 4 days later) showing some good lookings tentacles but is still too close to the pump for me to sleep well without turning it off at night. Any guess before he starts to move again or is he doomed regardless? I think he lost nearly half of the tentacles but its hard to see where he is? Any other ideas to get him away from the pump inlet? It is not accessable to put a cover or larger screen. :very sad:]

[Seen that. My RBTAs have done that. Hard on us both.
Rios are just something else, aren't they? I run them on CPR bak paks and refug - it seems snails, bubble algae and RBTAs are all have a Fatal Attraction to the Rio inlet. That's more romantic than saying P-poor engineering and lack of designing a good filter cover for the unit. Perhaps I'm being harsh and sorry if I am wrong on this but I've never seen nor heard of a Rio filter cover for those Rios used for CPR stuff.
I think the solutions for this all involve mesh - bridal veil or that blue and white polyester filter media material to wrap the Rio in to keep the debris out while not restricting the water flow to any great extent...the other way might be taking some of the plastic mesh some use to cover overflows and the like and crafting a cover to fit the inlet side. It's the way the Rio is plumbed with the air intake and the short piece of tubing connector that is the problem. Have to allow for those connectors...
Best of luck - I'm prolly going to work something up over the next week or so - if I find something useful, I'll publish it...]