Blue Spot Property

I've probably wanted some of these bluespot jawfish almost as long as my seahorses. I'm very proud to be working with this group. Hope you enjoy the photos. I apologize for the tank looking like a wreck. I underestimated the base rock under the display and I've had to make very rapid adjustments.

They are all visable from the front in this one.
1264827137.jpg
alt="">

Then the one on the far left goes out his backdoor. This guy is definately male.
1264827164.jpg
alt="">

I want 2 females, but I am not certain about the one on the right because it is younger and much shyer. The one on the left shows strong female behaviour.
1264827198.jpg
alt="">

Very Nice addition! I think I might have to get one. Did placing the PVC in the aquarium stop him from digging your aquascaping up?

Well if I would have built it and placed it before adding them, definately since I had to put it in after they tumbled down my rockwork, not so much. It doesn't fully help, however I have to move my tank in June and I will be adding more base rock underneath. The other two still dig up the tank though. I might install 2 more of these at that time. I know others that have these don't have a lot of digging.

Bimmerguy, I'm glad that you have had success with your blue spot jawfish. They are not known to be an easy to keep fish. How long have you had yours?

The one I have now I have had for about 2 months now, but my last one I had for about 8 months....I added a midas blenny without knowing they wouldnt get along and he went to town on my bluespot :( (RIP BIll)

But he was fine....all of the ones I have ever gotten eat like pigs....maybe I got lucky twice but they are the easiest fish I have kept so far.

When I say long term I mean years. I have had 3. Two of them I had for a couple of years before I lost them. They don't do well in warm temps. If the tank would get above 79-80 they wouldn't eat. They would randomly leave their home and swim all around the tank frantically which would cause other fish to chase them. There is also some mysterious bacterial infection that people call the "blue spot disease" that they sometimes get. I always had mine with a lot of fish. They do best in small tanks with few fish. Good luck with yours. They are probably one of my favorite fish.

Well heck thanks for the words up on the Midas I'll never add one of those to this tank then. I don't let the tank get 79 or 80 so that's good too :). They do eat like pigs as well. I have to feed them 1st or they won't let my ponies eat. Then from left to right or the strongest male will snatch it practically out of the others mouths.