black banded serpent starfish eating fish?

marcpuffer

Membership Expired
Well I tried out a green mandarin and have not seen him since i put him in the display, could my black banded serpent star have ate him, i didn't think this was possible until i read marinedepot's description of the star

I'll never say never in this hobby, but unless the fish was sick and dieing on it's own, the green serpents are the only ones that I've heard of actively eating healthy fish...

yea thats what i was hoping to hear, serk i read where you have a few mandarins, where did you acquire yours from, i haven't had any luck

my tank has been established for a year with 200 plus lbs of rock and a 15 gallon fuge full of pods

I currently only have a single Mandarin, but have kept others alive for years at a time...

I honestly don't remember where I bought my current one from.

The biggest key IMHO, beyond having an established tank and preferably a critter infested fuge is to find a Mandarin that isn't already starved beyond saving.

A lot of the ones in stores have sunken bellies, and are in my opinion doomed by that point. Ya' need to find one where the belly isn't concave...

The bubble tip brittle eats fish even worse than the green variety. Mine has gotten ahold of at least 8 fish in 3 years. Mostly damsels/chromis. They have a worse reputation, but no one told me before we got him. Now we are attached, cause he's 18" or better tip to tip. However he did recently get my Fox Face... so out he is going to come!

Mostly from the various LFS. A lot of my "beginning" information came from Taylor at Exotic Aquatics (former employee). And a few online sources, but I can't seem to google up the places I reviewed before... so, we'll toss my previous post out as *questionable*. I can stand behind what MINE has done.

The Petorama in Hurst has a lot of Mandarins, they say they're not for sale (esp since they know my tank is newer) but I'm sure if your tank is old enough they might sell you one. They have a lot of them and they're very gorgeous and fat. You know... they actually care about the wellbeing of those fish!