Birdsnest losing polyps

Grumpyfish

Premium Member
Hello,

A week ago, I noticed that my biggest birdsnest was losing polyps (or maybe just no polyp extension). This appears to be happening on the top side of the branches. I've also noticed a bit of brown algae growing in those spots. All other corals appear to be doing fine, including two other birdsnests.

I did move the coral from one side of the tank to the other recently. (Some green star polyps were getting too close - another lesson learned!) Could that be where I screwed up? The light level shouldn't have changed much, but I realize now that the flow pattern is different.

Should I go ahead and frag off some healthy pieces to save what I can, or is there something else I can try? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

565f997e7202346f902f04391872e4cd.jpg
alt="">

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have always had issues growing birds nest but I can grow acros like crazy. I haven't been able to figure it out. Mine just kinda do what yours is doing so I'm going to follow along here. Good luck

Sent from pay phone in the airport.

Thanks, Eckolancer. Tonight, just in case this is a lost cause, I'm going to cut off any healthy looking branches I can find and find them a new spot in the tank. Then I might try brushing off the algae with a toothbrush as best I can, put it back where it was, and cross my fingers.

I'd hate to lose the whole birdsnest. I bought it as a wee frag at my first frag swap last year, and it really took off. Until I moved it, that is!

Acros, huh? I hadn't considered those before since I thought they were way above my skill level.

I got a few good frags and a few questionable ones. Hope this works.
2db45159232c1b0465f100e7003c1773.jpg
alt="">