Bi-Color Angel not eating

nemonewbie

Membership Expired
Mods, if this is the wrong place to post this, please move. I just bought a Bi-Color Angel and he is not eating. I have tried Brine shrimp, Mysis shrimp and even some Oyster Feast. He does not eat anything. I got him on Friday. He is swimming all around the tank and going in and out of the Rocks. He does not look or act sick. Any other food suggestions? I don't want it to die.

Any other fish in the tank? Any Zoas? He maybe eating Zoas and or pods.

Sent from pay phone in the airport.

Eckolancer, Just two Clown fish (nemo). I have not seen it eat any Zoes, but that doesn't mean he isn't. The Zoes don't look like they have been eaten.

Did you treat for internal parasites? Maybe he has one that is acting as if he is full.

Sent from pay phone in the airport.

Try treating the food with minced garlic to stimulate the fish to eat. I use a garlic paste product on sick fish to help them eat.

I have the seaweed on a clip, but when I am home, I do not see it eating it. Sometimes, when I get up in the morning it is all gone, but I don't know if he is eating it or my snails. I know my two clowns won't eat it. These are the only other fish I have. It is very active, I just don't want it to dye from not eating.

If you can catch him you might give a 5 minute freshwater dip. This will cause him to poop out most anything that's in him so if he doesn't poop then he's definitely not been eating anything. Will also alow you to see if he has healthy looking poops or not.

After that I would treat for internal parasites just to be sure. There's a good write-up on the subject here: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/37765-de-worming-marine-fish-super-pooper-snooper.html

Treat the fish food with Seachem Metronidazole and Seachem Focus. Don't freshwater dip. You will stress or harm the fish.

@digital_gods wrote:
Treat the fish food with Seachem Metronidazole and Seachem Focus. Don't freshwater dip. You will stress or harm the fish. said:
If the fish is not eating medicated food will not help... The anti-parasitic medications are most effective when eaten but it is also possible to treat the water in QT.

The freshwater dip is used to kill parasitic pathogens. When done properly, it has a low stress factor on the fish. It's a matter of which is the least of the two stressors -- the stress of being sick/infected/diseased or the stressor of the dip.

were did you get fish ? Sound like you did not QT it and from my 30 yrs exp with saltwater fish, 95% that don't eat from the start have had ICK and if they are to the
point of not eating it's most likely too late.

If he has ich to the point of not eating then you would be able to see the ich. He's probably just not eating in front of you. My flame angel comes out to eat but I have never seen my coral beauty eat anything but I've had her for almost a year and she's fat and healthy. I wouldn't panic unless you see signs of illness or starvation.