Beware the clam....

I have a 4 year old clam that decided to spawn while I was at work weds....

I have lost every single piece of SPS in my tank, well some montiporas made it. Also lost most of my snails, a blonde naso, the killer clam is still hanging on though....

I am now running carbon and did a 30% water change.

Anyone who has seen my 90 gallon, it was pretty nice for an sps tank.

Watch for the clams guys. .

(going to brood for a while).

Ive seen it happen, but this was a first for me in 8 years in the hobby. If it ever happens I recommend taking the clam out asap and put it in its own bucket of water for the next 12 hours (with aeration, etc).

Im glad I have people who have my frags at the least (lost a 6 year old colony).

Which kind of clam was it ? and how can you tell if it is going to spawn? I have a derasa for 2 years. No issue yet. Thinking about to add a Squamosa.

I am really sorry to hear about your sps. They were really awesome. I have a couple of your frags, but they are still small:(
I hope your tank gets back to nomal soon.
Mary

Nick

Small consolation, but you dont need any clams to nuke your SPS! Welcome to the "We are just starting over " club!

Gary

Nick,
you had an awesome tank. I'm sorry that you had to go through this. I would've be tempted to launch it out the window myself. I wish I had something I could donate to ya but currently the frags I have are still tiny and slow to grow for me.

Nick, just a day after you called me to tell me that your clam was spawning, one of my croceas started to do the same thing. I had my camcorder but there was no charge in the batteries, so I called Marc to come videotape. By the time he made it over...within minutes, at least 4-5 of the clams in the same tank began doing the same. I waited until they finished and then did a large water change. It's an amazing sight to see, but no one wants to see their tanks go up in that amazement. I sent an email to James Fatheree to get a little more information regarding clam spawning and the effects on a closed system!

Some of mine did it this week as well... I actually saw one of them doing it last night after a water change was done. My blue throat and sailfin were happily eating the 'stuff' and I am sure the corals were getting their fill as well.

I lost a few clams this week after the first initial event, so I am keeping a close watch on the tank to see if anything was causing a stress spawn or if it was just a natural by product of the spawning event.

No coral losses at all....and while the tank was a little hazy, it wasn't totally milky. 2 water changes seen to have cleared it up pretty good.

Man.. thats crazy that they all did it about the same time. I know mine was brought on by a spike in PH for an hour.

My tank is almost a total loss, im just letting everything settle down, took most the sps corals out as they were just shedding flesh and dead.

Survivors:
Nassairius snails, ceriths, conches, 2 chromis, 1 false percula, 1 brain coral, 1 torch coral, 2 ricordias, funnily enough 2 dragon-faced pipefish

Losses, over 20 colonies of SPS, montiporas and porites, 20 trochus and astrea snails, 1 beautiful blonde naso, 1 chromis, 1 chalk basslet, 1 torch coral, tons of colorful zoos, 3 croceas clams

Im hoping my huge scroll coral comes back, well see.

I dont even want to esitmate the dollar amount or time lost in the corals :(

Nick

@nvillacci wrote:
Yep.. it seems there was a heavy round of clams spawning, Frank experienced it, I did, you did and a few others I know did. I think I have figured out what caused my clouding issue, it wasn't spawning directly, but the nitrate reactor. This may have caused the spawning event I did experience though and I am now wondering if the stress was the cause of the loss of the little clams I had. I am putting out some inquiries on that score....

Sorry for your losses though.. and if you want a frag or two let me know.. I have a tyree idaho grape monti frag in my QT tank you are welcome to and I can probably get a few frags from my brown outs corals, one is a valida and a couple of unknowns.

Thanks Dave,

Losing the Purple Monster and Blue tort hurt a bit. We are trying to find a house in grapevine and if were lucky within the next couple of months will be moving. Id hate to get some nice frags and lose them to a move so if you can keep me in mind in the future ill take you up on the offer.

Thanks again,

Nick

Man!! Nick sorry to hear. Let me know when you get settled in Ill have a Tort growing for ya. i also have your Validia, Green digi and Scripps stag. Let me know if I can help in any way.