Best Skimmer? 30g cube w/ 10g sump.

J.Davis

Membership Expired
What would you consider the best? I'm a little restricted on footprint, but please chime in if you love yours.

@Hook'em2006 wrote:
The aqua c remora would make a great skimmer. said:
I'll respectfully disagree with this. It's a good HOB skimmer on small tanks but with a sump I'd go for something better and buy the biggest skimmer that you can put in the footprint. Super reef Octopus? Bubble magus? Bubble king?

I have the reef octopus xp1000SSS on my 100g and it is an amazing slimmer. Maybe try the aqua c urchin if you are extra tight on space. I'll agree with the above about the remora and going with the biggest that with fit (in sump an within budget).

I hated the remora. Loud and did not work that well. It's better than a sea clone or a Berlin skimmer, that's about all the positive I can say about it.

I can completely advise against the Marineland Advanced in Sump Protein Skimmer 100 Gallon - Marineland AMLMSPS100. The cap has to be pried off with a knife. Its impeller based instead of venturi effect and mine has thrown the bearings and often simply stops spinning. It is also the most sensitive one I have with regards to to water level in the sump.

I have two Pro Clears that I think are middle of the road. Their very small one, the 75 is extraordinary difficult to "tune". The larger 150 less so.

I have an old discontinued Vertex on the Neo 90 and it has the absolute best performance and ease of use vs. anything I've used to date, but you can't buy them new. The only drawback I've found is that it tends to spew water out of the sump when you pull the collection cup.

In the past, I've had the AquaC Remora Pro, Backpacks and SeaClones...I now have a Reef Octopus 100 for a 37g. IMO, the AquaC is half decent for a lightly stocked tank up to about 55g which is what I used it on, but, I think these days you can do better. The seaclown is useless, and, the backpacks little better, so don't waste your time with them. The Reef Octos are really good skimmers and not too expensive...might work for you if they fit your sump.