Best PH Meter for the money?

I am looking to buy a ph monitor/controller. Has anyone had better experience with one model over another. I am planning on getting a Neptune controller and calcium reactor at some point so do I need a monitor or controller?

Thanks,
Dan

If you get a Neptune controller, it can monitor pH and and handle the Ca reactor. I have an AC Jr. but I hear the Apex is a great product.

you are looking at about 100 bucks for a decent ph monitor made by pinpoint and about 200 bucks for a controller to monitor ph, control a calcium reactor, monitor temp, control your heater/fans and control your timed items (plus many more). its just a matter of what you want to spend now.

I feel that the quailty of the probe is what is really important here from my experience using three different monitors by different manufactures.

@washingtond wrote:
I feel that the quailty of the probe is what is really important here from my experience using three different monitors by different manufactures. said:
definitely it comes down to the quality of the probe, after all the controllers, etc. are just translating the signal from the probe.

@toaster77 wrote:
[I]@washingtond wrote:[/I][quote="I feel that the quailty of the probe is what is really important here from my experience using three different monitors by different manufactures. said:
definitely it comes down to the quality of the probe, after all the controllers, etc. are just translating the signal from the probe."]

The tolerence and quality of the components used in various meters are just as important as having a quality probe. That said, I have used $11 ph probes and $60 ones, as long as they are maintained and replaced properly, either will work ime. I had a cheap meter with it's probe that was reading all over the place when compared to what my aquacontroller read. I recalibrated several times but it was just never right, I took that same probe from the cheap meter and recalibrated it on my Aquacontroller and it does't drift at all, conversely the probe from the aquacontroller was calibrated on the cheap meter and it was now very inconsistent. To be honest there are only a few manufacturer's of probes when compared to the number of ph meter manufacturer's. I saw buy a known quality product such as pinpoint even milwaukee for ph monitor controller, the multipurpose controllers have many reputable manufactures so it comes down like was said to what you plan to do and how much money you want to spend in that area.

@nieczy wrote:
I was looking at the Milwaukee and the pinpoint pH monitors. Does anyone have an opinion between the two? said:
I am currently using both and really like each one. You can get the pinpoint with a AC power supply so you don't need the 9V battery so I would go with it.

After reading some reviews on the pinpoint with the AC adapter. I think some users found that they were getting incorrect measurements when using the AC adapter. You may want to verify that it's measuring correctly if your running on AC.

@nieczy wrote:
After reading some reviews on the pinpoint with the AC adapter. I think some users found that they were getting incorrect measurements when using the AC adapter. You may want to verify that it's measuring correctly if your running on AC. said:
The readings are correct and I should mention that I also have a ground probe in the sump where the pH probe is located to remove any stray current. That could interfer with the readings.

One of the guys that tested the problem had his grounded as well and theorized that it was a ground loop problem with the meter. But you never know it could have been defective or an older unit or something.

I noticed that the Milwaukee has a manual temperature adjustment that I don't see listed on the pinpoint. I'm guessing that with the temperature range of an aquarium it's not that important a feature?

@nieczy wrote:
One of the guys that tested the problem had his grounded as well and theorized that it was a ground loop problem with the meter. But you never know it could have been defective or an older unit or something. I noticed that the Milwaukee has a manual temperature adjustment that I don't see listed on the pinpoint. I'm guessing that with the temperature range of an aquarium it's not that important a feature? said:
One of the units I have is the Milwaukee with the temp adjustment. I just set it at 75 and never touched the temp adjust since. I think that either monitor will be fine. May some others can chime in...

So far the BRS probe is working fine. It calibrated well without the reading jumping around every few minutes.

Apparently my old probe was reading .1 below where it should have been. PH is 7.95 during lights out and 8.12 with the lights on.

it will help to periodically clean your probes by incubating in vinegar. they definitely will drift over time, you can tell by reading the pH of standards