Best LEDs for 36" depth

ReefJunky

Premium Member
Looking for the best LED option to light 36" deep tank. Tanks aprox 72x30x36. Just looking to be able to grow the basic leathers and softies, no SPS. Looking to swap to get rid of the MH/T5. Just looking to be dimmable and work with apex. Any opinions always appreciated. Gracias!

If it was me with the cash I would get AI Sols. I had a buddy who had a 465 gallon 96x36x36 he had a amazing sps heavy reef.

@AndyM wrote:
If it was me with the cash I would get AI Sols. I had a buddy who had a 465 gallon 96x36x36 he had a amazing sps heavy reef. said:
Yeah, I run SOLs and love em. 100%. They are/have already been replaced with the Hydras (unless I've misinterpreted) so not sure how things will work if they have issues, and from what I've found online, they Hydras are only good up to 30". Would prefer to be cheaper as I'm sure it would require a min of 6-8 units. I looked at some orphek pendants, but being based out of US, reviews said that the people who did have some issues received terrible cust service support.

Depth is a matter of optics for LED's. I would suggest Reefbreeders if Apex isn't an issue. There have their own programing built into the light. If it must work with Apex then I would contact Nick at Buildmyled. Tell him what you
want, be specific, and he will do a mock up of your tank and give you projected PAR readings for your setup. This will come at 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of Sol's. Just my 2cents.

^^^^^ Thanks, APEX is def not as important as getting the most efficient lighting without spending an arm and a leg. Both options will be looked into. I did spend atleast an hr talking to the owner at BuildMy during MACNA. Great guy and very knowledgable.

Any other ideas?

Fwiw I did a aquastyle led on a 6x3x3 tank and it grows soft corals on the sand bed... It's a fowlr that had some soft coral, leathers, gsp, Zoas, Xenia on the base rock and they are growing good. No optics either and only 60 LEDs split 35 blue and 25 white...