Beginning of LED Build: Questions and Opinions

RAMTEX

Premium Member
I received the go ahead from the higher powers, (Thanks better half [smilie=wink.gif]) to replace the lighting system on our 120G mixed reef.

So I have done much research and came up with some designs along with questions. I am not an expert on LED so I am turning to you all for some expertise and experience.

<u>Driver Questions</u>
It was suggested to run the LEDs in a Parallel circuit format. This will allow for two or three strings of LED to share the current provided by the driver. As you can see in the design, the Meanwell driver I am looking to utilize should be able to handle the load. I have several concerns:

Mean Well LPF 60-48 Built-in 3 in 1 dimming function (1~10Vdc or PWM signal or resistance)

Does using a parallel circuit degrade the output of the LED?
Will you see different shades of brightness?
Is this driver over kill for 12 LED in series?

<u>Controller Questions </u>
All the information I know from this two controllers is what I read on the manual.

Typhon LED Controller - (The cost is inexpensive)
Has anybody set this up to run the fans? If it can be done!
Is it difficult to download the additional programming?

DIM4 - 4 Port LED Sunrise/Sunset Controller V1.0
When using a Meanwell driver the manual suggest to add a relay to power off the driver. Meanwell also suggest to use this method.
Has anyone used a relay circuit to power down multiple drivers?

<u>Design Questions</u>
So many different combinations to setup my head spins. There is a 10000 wrong ways and a hand full of right ways. So I am asking your opinions.

Design 1 - I found this on a forum. Is it OK to mix white and blue led on one driver?
Moonlights - It seems I am stuck on the 12 blues. Is there any other way to do moon lighting?
Led Placement - What is your own combination?
What design seems to make sense?

[attachment=2]Led Design 1.png[/attachment]

[attachment=1]Led Design 2.png[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Led Design 3.png[/attachment]

I'm thinking of doing an 18" makers and going with typhoon controller. Not sure if you've seen this yet but thought I'd pass this along. They are making boxes for Typhoon Controllers that are pretty sharp.

If you look up my recent LED build. I did like the one you have on design 2. But, feel like you need to add some other colors in there just to make things pop out at you. I would say 2 reds, 2 greens, and 2 uvs as well. Also, I only like running 8-14 leds per driver, if one blows when running like 20 or even 30 it will cause all of them to blow in the circuit. I run at 12-14 just so if 1 or 2 go out I can have all my lights still running just fine till a replacement comes in. Keep this in mind as well, the whites are what seems to grow my corals more then the blues. The blues just make it nice to look at, the reds, and greens help with color pop as well as keeping coloration of the coral.

DCUEVAS74 - Where did you see the box for the controller? I was going to make one out of plexiglass.

Eckolancer - I am leaning towards Design 2 also. Are your drivers running your LED in series? How did you add the Green, Red, and UV LED? Are they on a separate driver?

I did 2 heat sinks. Each with 14 mixed whites, 14 mixed blue. Then both have 7 mixed red, uv, green then tied together at the driver. This is a total of 5 drivers.

Sent from inside the shark tank!