Avast Marine Kalk Reactor

coralreefer

Membership Expired
Anyone using the Avast Kalkwasser reactor? It looks great and simple. Let me know:

How do you like it?

It says its gravity fed, do you have it mounted to something or just standing under the stand? My sump walls are higher than it so I would need to put it up higher to allow it to gravity feed.

Do you run it for a set amount of time per day (i was planning on doing this with my Apex). If so how long and what pump do you use?

What brand kalk do you use?

It stands up I had to make a stand for it.

Right now I have it on my ato. But I will soon have it used to dose a certain amount once I setup my ca reactor.

I use two little fishes Kalk I have used mrs wages also both are the same.

Right now I am using a aqualifter but recently it has been back siphoning which aqualifters are notorious for. It is best to use a peristaltic pump as the pump for it then you won't have back siphon.

If you are looking for one send derek4real a pm I think he has one for sale just hasn't posted it yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

check out the TLF one

http://www.marinedepot.com/Two_Little_Fishies_KW_Reactor_300_%28Kalkwasser_Reactor%29_Kalkwasser_Reactors-Two_Little_Fishies-TL4613-FICRKR-vi.html

I think Shmoopy got one or was in the process of getting one.

I have one on a peristaltic dosing pump. They are very well built. I use it in conjunction with my apex to maintain a stead ph

@kthomas wrote:
check out the TLF one http://www.marinedepot.com/Two_Little_Fishies_KW_Reactor_300_%28Kalkwasser_Reactor%29_Kalkwasser_Reactors-Two_Little_Fishies-TL4613-FICRKR-vi.html I think Shmoopy got one or was in the process of getting one. said:
Does the TLF one have any sort of mixing device? It looks just like the reactor with a smaller diameter tube. I like the idea of something mixing it up at the bottom. I might try and DIY one out of an old reactor before dropping the coin on the Avast kit.

I have the Avast Kalk Stirrer and have been really happy with it. The motor is quiet and the system works well. I have mine hooked up to my ATO, the only thing I had to do was drill a small hole in the rigid water inlet tube to stop the water from being sucked back into the tube, wasnt a big deal...I put my 2nd PH probe in it, when I start to see a drop I know its time to get ready for a cleaning and add more kalk

@Matt wrote:
That is actually the stirer. Here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDFLqj8xfNw said:
Matt does that little bit of wiggling around enough to do what it needs to? I am new to this kalk thing - i need to find a way to keep my Ca and Alk up, but dont want to mess with a Ca reactor.

I would google tlf Kalk reactor clog problems. Seems like the sprinkler gets clogged up. If you can afford it get a avast Kalk stirrer.

Did you contact derek4real? he has one that he does not need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@kuyatwo wrote:
Did you contact derek4real? he has one that he does not need said:
yeah we are in pm communication! Just trying to determine if I wanna go that route. Thanks for the info!!

I have the TLF kalc reactor and it works fine - just follow the directions and there shouldn't be any issues

clogging is usually because people add more then one cup of kalc and the stirrer sits in the slurry and gets a build up. you have to remove the old stuff before adding more. this is kind of a pain as it forces me to remove and replenish weekly

also use the right kind of pump as they specify.this unit wont opperate correctly using a aqualifter.