Australian Blue Echinata

Well I got my first Austrailan Blue Echinata. I hope it grows as fast as my ORA Echinata. The Color patern on it looks really cool. Anyone have info on how fast they grow. I hear if it lasts past 5 days after the frag, you have made it past the hard part.

Wicked cool. Would this be the "icefire" echinata that is trumpeted so much on reefcentral?

I think it is a bit delicate, prob not as fast growing as Hawkin's. But def a cool color. Did you dip it? Some say echinatas and other smooth-skins don't fare well with a dip, but who knows. I chose not to dip my Hawkins for that reason.

VERY delicate! Watch for any Alk swings. It is a very very slow grower that demands prestine captive conditions. Rick Beauregard had one for about 5 months and it died for no reason.

Keep us updated!

I've had mine since we did the last wet thumb frag group buy and it is doing well (looking well with no growth). How is your doing?

Mat, how's the frag doing? Some questions - has it kept its color? Did you dip the frag before it went into your DT?

And if you don't mind, would you post or PM me the vendor you got it from? I might be looking at picking up an icefire myself.

I can't really get a great solo picture. Here is a picture that I took from my Droid.
IMG_20110311_183154.jpg
alt=""> it is next to the circular disc

.....nice looking rainbow stylo colony you got there, Ryan! Sorry to go off topic, had to tho.

Did you happen to dip your frag? I'm wondering what the consensus is, if folks are approaching it like many handle the Hawkins.

Yup, I dip everything. In 2007 I got AEFW's and had to tear up my tank for about 7 months. NEVER AGAIN [smilie=angry.gif] .

I used Coral Revive for that piece. It never really lost any of it's color.

Well, mine RTN'd 4 months down the road, just like Rick's did. I came home to a bright white specimen that looked great yesterday. No changes in alkalinity or temp. I don't think I'll try another Aussie Echinata unless it is a G2 or G3. [smilie=shake.gif]

Sorry to hear that. I picked up a frag from Vivid some months ago, maybe late March or early April. Holding on just fine but not growing I wouldn't say. Looks about the same as in Mat's original pic.

Mat, do you have an update on yours?