Attaching a Zenia Frag

SharkSnack

Premium Member
What is the best way to attach a Pom-Pom Zenia frag to a rock? I recently received a nice little frag and atached it to my rock with a toothpick. But, I found that the frag attached to the toothpick as well as the rock. It was doing pretty well. But, when I attepted to remove the toothpick, it separated from the rock as well (still attached to the toothpick). I was able to get it off the toothpick and re-attach it to the rock again (with the same toothpick). But, I am not sure that it will survive the ordeal. Still too soon to tell as it is retracted from my handling it. How long should I have left the frag attached to the rock with the toothpick? I had the toothpick in there for 5 days. Was that too long? I wanted to be sure the Zenia frag was attached to the rock before I pulled the toothpick out.

Thanks,

Frank

GARF.org has a few different way. I think the most common is to rubber band them to the rock though. Just don't do it too tight. It should just hold it in place.

I keep a small bowl of live rock rubble in my refugium. I can drop a few frags in that bowl and they will attach within a few days. I've also used rubber bands, but that does tend to cut the frags in half.

Larry

@opus18 wrote:
[I]@kaledrina wrote:[/I][quote="[I]@sharko88 wrote:[/I][quote="Superglue gel worked for me. said:
I second that! Superglue gel is fantabulous."]

Third on that :!:"]

And fourth! Just make sure it is the GEL. And that you do not cover the entire "Foot", just part of it, or it will not grow onto the rock.

Usually, I just wedged them in between rocks, with very little flow, until they grow onto the rock, then you can move it to a better location.

But, I, too, have a plastic bowl in the 'fuge, with bits of devil's hand and Kenya tree, currently, that are attaching themselves to the rubble within.

I recently had some trouble getting some new frags to stick to my live rock and I found that a fresh piece of rubble is the way to go. I just set them in the sand until they had attached, and just moved the piece of rubble to a place that I saw fit. My large pieces of live rock in the tank are kind of covered in some hair algae and lots of coraline algae, so it had a hard time attaching to it. If you go to a LFS, they will probably just give you some small pieces of fresh live rock. Petland in Lewsiville hooked me up.