Aqualight Advanced Series or Current Outer Orbit HQI

Aqualight Advanced IMO. No need for a support structure or ceiling mounts.

If you get one and you don't like it you can just give it to me. :)

I think the Aqualight Advanced is supposed to be used over a glass canopy to protect from UV. Apparently it doesn't have much of a UV shield. The shield only covers half the bulb. That's the main thing I'm worried about with it. I have read that the Coralife bulb has a "built in" UV filter, but if you replace the bulbs with anything other than their less than wonderful bulb you will scald your corals. :?

Yikes! I have never personally had my corals scalded but it sounds less than pleasant.

Thanks for the info. I was seriously looking into this light for myself but it seems a visit to Dr. Google is in order to get to the bottom of this coral scalding issue.

EDIT: Well... Dr. Google confirms your claim (as if I ever doubted you). The Coralife fixture is sent with a filter for the bulb but if you replace it with something else your corals will need a daily rub down with factor 50 sunblock.

Here's a thread about it on some other forums.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42545&mode=linear

Yup. That's what I read too. It's nice looking and sleek. Supposedly you can have a glass lens cut for it to fit the issue. I just don't think I want to mess with all that.

I know where there is one cheap if you want it though! $190 shipped!

Well now I am worried. What other lights are coral cookers?

I have been looking at various lights on Ebay. Who is to say that they aren't going to cause problems and how can you tell?

Obnoxiously long Ebay link

That's 175W HQI and 2x 65W Compact for $189 and FREE SHIPPING. They are cheap so I would assume they are cheaply made. Would it be a bad idea to use halide lights of uncertain origins?