Aquac remora

[Does anyone have one of the aquaC Remora HOT skimmers? my 55 is not drilled, so I'll need some sort of skimmer and was thinking about going this route.

pros? cons? i'm a beginner and this is my next purchase so any input would be greatly appreciated! everyone's info has been great so far!]

[I'm using an Aqua C Remora on my 29g, and it works great. If you get one for your 55g, I'd recommend you get the Remora Pro with the Maxijet powerhead. It is better to have a skimmer with the "umph!" to get the job done, than to get on that is underpowered for the job.

Whichever one you go with, the Remora or the Pro, don't buy the one with the Rio powerhead.]

@Marc wrote:
[I'm using an Aqua C Remora on my 29g said:
[Marc,

I definatly planned on getting the Remora Pro! My friend who has been getting me through the basic steps was telling me that the skimmer should process 2-3 times the amount of water that's in the tank. So when I started doing my reserach it was a toss up between the PrizmPro (does it suck as much as everyone says it deos?) and the RemoraPro.

I'm definatly, *definatly* getting a RR tank for my next tank! It'll make a nice addition to the living room and contrast the Fresh tank.

Now why the MaxiJet head over the Mag Drive3? And why not the RIOs? I've got 3 MaxiJet powerheads and they're really good. Nice and quiet, haven't had any problems with them.]

[The Prism has a reputation for noise and not the greatest output of skimmate. (the gunk the skimmer collects)

The Magdrive would be even better. Just avoid the worthless Rio pumps that are notorious for failure, leaking electricity in your tank, or melting down.]

@mmiller40 wrote:
[Rios are a POS. They will leak and send electricity into your tank or you if you are unlucky enough to reach into the tank. ;) The maxi and the mag are equal. Have you considered a overflow box so you could add a sump and a euroreef? IMO Euroreef's (or ASM said:
[I believe I've heard iffy things about the overflow boxes. Any linkage you can provide to give me some information on overflows to sumps. I've been thinking about a sump, but I don't think my stand is really setup for one.]

[I might be interested in that new Mag7 (it's new right?), so let me know how much, Mitch.

Re: Sumps. Here's the page to read. :D

Two guys were here today building their very first weir and sump in my garage, as I helped them between building Dre's sump. (DRE: Call me... I need some specifics from you please).

I believe they both will be members soon as well. :;):]

@scotts wrote:
[I believe I've heard iffy things about the overflow boxes. Any linkage you can provide to give me some information on overflows to sumps. I've been thinking about a sump said:
[It's gonna bew hard with an undrilled tank to get decent filtration. The siphons are iffy from everything I've heard. You cound try a CPR hang-on refugium though. The only draw-back with them is that the take a few inched behind your tank, so you might have to move the tank forward some. And a small pump provides circulation for them. Then add the Remora Pro or a CPR Backpack for a skimmer. And make sure you have at least 5" of DSB (deep sand bed), preferably mixed grain sizes, 2 bags of sugar fine, a bag of aragonite, and maybe even a bag of something in between. The DSB will do the nitrates for you, but you're gonna need a lotta help from the fuge and the skimmer for phosphates. They will pile up fast.]

@mmiller40 wrote:
[pump has never left the box. I paid Price: $58.99 plus shipping but you can have for 60. I can bring to meeting wednesday.] said:
[Sold. :D I'll bring you a check, which of course is good.

(Do moderators get to write bad checks? LOL)]

[@mmiller40 wrote:
I actually got my sand from the same guy, and it was purearagonite too. I called up the company and asked them if they had a local distributer. I think mine was about the same price. I paid $7/bag plus shipping, shipping being over half of the order of course. And he showed up with about 15 to 20 bags of sand in the back of his car, which was about a half inch from dragging the ground I think. ;) And I used about 1 15lb bag of regular aragonite. I was pretty happy witht he type of sand already, so there wasn't much point in mixing in other stuff.]

[I have a Remora (wish I would have bought the pro) and I have been very happy with it. It came with the rio but I upgraded it with the maxijet 1200. It is very easy to adjust the wetness of your skim by just raising on lowering the collection box. They do put out allot of tiny bubbles when first started up but they decrease as time goes by. One thing that this type of skimmer does not offer is surface extraction. I modified mine to use an eheim surface extractor and I really think it works great. I will try to post a picture tomorrow.]