Apex with a DC pump?

ThanhNguyen

Premium Member
I have an Apex from Neptune. I was looking to go with a DC pump such as the Reef Octopus Diable DC. I'm wondering if I could use the Apex to control the pump like i would a tunze and stuff.. reason i'm asking is i would like to lower the pump down to coincide with my autofeeder.

You will eventually with some of them, just not right now. The waveline dC pump for instance is coming out with a new controller that will have a 0-10v input for controllers to use.

I have an Apex and 2 gen 2 Waveline pumps (a 4000 and a 6000). We have been told that an updated controller will be released for this pump that will allow it to interface with an Apex variable speed pump VDM module. Once it is released, I will need to buy both the Waveline controller (probably around $40), AND the Apex VDM Module (99) if I want to be able to control speed from the Apex. I was excited about it at first, but after realizing the cost and getting used to the pumps I realize that I just don't need it.

The people that i could see benefiting from it:
a) If all your flow was from DC pumps on closed loops and you wanted to vary the speed.
B) if you had the whole system on battery backup and you wanted to lower speed during an outage to prolong battery life.

Note: Don't take this as a negative against DC pumps. I love my wavelines for many other reasons (runs cooler and quieter, and uses much less power) and will never order another AC pump for any installation where a DC equivalent is available.

@Wes wrote:
If you have a full apex said:
Yep... I have an Apex lite, so I would need the VDM. If you have the full APEX, I believe you would just need the updated Waveline controller and the cable to connect it to your APEX.

If you have a jaebo dc-6000 or similar that have the same connector as the WP40 and WP25 then you can get the jaebo cable from ReefAngel and use it for 0-10v control of the pump with any controller including the apex.

Ok. I think there's a group buy on the Jebao. I'll get the DC pump there and a wp40... I have an Apex Lite. not full apex. (see signature).. Will that work?

I see, the Variable Dimming module. the one module i don't have, cause i use Ecotech Radions. Man!!! I hate Neptune enough to not buy another one of their products... decisions, decisions... Well, Thanks everyone for answering my question.

wxm is for ecotech vortech

I don't think firmware is out to control radions yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the WXM module for my Vortechs with Ecosmart. No point really cause my Radions use blue tooth and puts them in night mode automatically. Something i didn't know until after i bought the radions... Sucks i know. Are you talking about that little white puck that's suppose to control the radions wirelessly? Yeah. That's definitely on my Christmas list when it comes out. I love Ecotech products, from the Coral Glue to their customer service. I will always buy Ecotech... Well, until they piss me off LOL... Then i'll go Anti.. like i do Walmart. Anti Walmart ya'll. [smilie=devil.gif]

You can turn off the radion control of your vortechs through ESL and the white box is a reeflink. fusion is the new Apex software that will allow the WXM to control your radions similar to how the reeflink will. I was going to get a reeflink until I found out it was $200, now I'm just gonna wait for fusion as I already have the WXM. I like my ecotech stuff too, and am very interested in their new product being announced next month.

200 Dolla!!! Good Lord that's a lotta money! How about I do some betta testing and they let me use it for a month or so.. see if it's worth it. [smilie=rofl.gif]

yes...betta