Apex Firmware Update- I'm scared!!

coralreefer

Membership Expired
So I have 4.11_AA11 installed on my Apex and I have been putting off updating the firmware because it is behaving perfectly (and I see others are having trouble from time to time).

I want to utilize some of the new features but am worried I will open a can of worms. This is the first update that I will have performed, so any advice or assurance would be great. I plan to backup and follow all the instructions in the Neptune manual as well as the unofficial users guide.

I do regular updates without any issue. Just make sure you are hard wired to the apex through a router and not wireless. Should take all of 10 min or less to complete.

Mike

they need to make thier system more user friendly, most people dont have a 150ft ethernet cable, and imo thier system should be able to be flashed thru either a laptop or usb jump drive..

It would be better yes but could you imagine sticking a jump drive in one of the 12v aquabus ports it would fry instantly.

Hopefully in the future they will allow wireless updates but for now it's dragging a long cable or what I used to do;
Take my laptop with an old router next to the tank and connect that way. It's a few more things but I don't have to worry that the kiddos will trip over the wire and brick the apex.

Mike

@toomnymods wrote:
they need to make thier system more user friendly said:
More userfriendly = less robust plain and simple.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

Haven't had to do this yet but couldn't you just take the base module over to the router? Sure your EB's would default to their set state but wouldn't that allow you to update via hardwire without dragging a really long cable over?

Except mine is mounted to a panel inside the stand.

I'll stretch the router cable into the middle of the room and hopefully the 14footer I have will reach the Apex! Planning on doing it tomorrow morning.

Mine is too. I think maybe I'll just velcro or zip tie my Apex base unit when I move it over to the new build . . . in case I have to go through this drill so that I don't have to remove the wood screws and all that fun stuff.

I don't mind removing the screws I guess, I just don't want to get down on my hands and knees to do it! It only takes my a couple seconds to unplug that cat5! Velcro is a good idea...thinking!!!

Okay so I got the Apex updated - no problems following the Neptune instructions.

The problem was my dang uverse router. First of all I had to extend the coax line to the middle of the living room with 2 short cables and m/m connectors that I happened to find in the garage because I only had a 14' cat5. So after plugging and unplugging it could have caused my next problems. I cabled the laptop and apex to uverse router and there was an ip conflict. I unplugged apex and laptop would connect, but couldn't access Internet. I plugged back in Apex and it worked fine and laptop couldn't acquire address. Ugggg. Finally I just connected the laptop to the uverse router through the USB to PC connector. Disabled wireless and was good to go. The setup took me an hour. The flash took me 3 minutes. Now before I hear about just going to get a longer cable, I have a 50 footer but it's in my classroom and the school is under construction so I couldn't get in to get it. Don't worry I'll be getting that first thing! There is something to be said for hard wired computers, I don't have one in the house, so this would have been a lot easier without all the new wireless!