Any Ozone experts out there?

Gatorman1313

Premium Member
I would to add some sterilization to my 190 setup with 60 frag. The Recommended UV was almost 40" long but since I have Apex I though O3 would be better however I have no idea what I would need and how to set it up - to include if my reef oct skimmer could handle it or what would need to be replaced. Any experts on Ozone out there?

Both Rick and psteeleb both run ozone and can answer your questions.

I am not an expert by any means, but I can share what I have experienced with my set up. First, I would highly recommend an ozone reactor as running 03 through your skimmer will be less than ideal. There are some real nice 03 reactors out there (Avast, Reef Octopus ). I currently stopped using dryer beads , but they are also recommended and can increase the efficiency of the ozone generator , Mount your 03 generator higher than the ozone reactor and put 2 check valves on the line for good measure !! I ruined a perfectly good ozonizer because my check valve failed and the ozonizer was lower than the 03 reactor !! It got water in it and was done for !! I prefer to run my ozone just after the lights turn on and usually for 2-3 hrs only. I vary the output of 03, but lately I just run it at 100 mg.This gets the water very clear and the skimmer performs at peak. Running to much ozone or for prolonged periods is detrimental to your reef. As you probably know an Orp meter is a must when running 03 so make sure you have one and it's properly calibrated. Running it on my system this way has my Orp at 350 mv and water is sparkling. Hope this helped.

+1 to ReefNut2010's points. And I was going to recommend the two models that he pointed out also. If you go Avast, pickup a Media Reactor as well to run your effluent water through to eliminate the residual O3. If you go Reef Octopus you will need to run the effluent over a mesh bag of activated carbon. These two media reactors operate differently as it relates to air-escape from the reactor (Reef Octopus allows air to escape [and they set up their equipment to properly carbon filter the air-escape]; while Avast does not allow for air-escape, so all residual O3 comes out through the water).

I prefer O3 over UV due to the water clarity effect.

I am of the opposite feeling I went from ozone to uv and would not go back to ozone personally.

If you decide to use ozone through your skimmer make sure the type of acrylic you skimmer is made of cast or you will develop hazing or cracking. Even cast acrylic will eventually start to break down.

I went with an in sump uv with built in pump. If you follow proper qt process you shouldn't need to sterilize your tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@bimmerzs wrote:
I stopped using both method's and just run a quality carbon 24/7. My tank is just as clear imo. YMMV Cheers said:
How is your ORP? That would be my only incentive to run ozone. I ordered a CO2 scrubber to test out first.

I forgot that point. You want to run all ozonated water through a carbon reactor with plenty of carbon in it. If you have tangs you'll need to monitor usage of the carbon as to much usage of carbon is bad for them.

@Robby2782 wrote:
[I]@bimmerzs wrote:[/I][quote="I stopped using both method's and just run a quality carbon 24/7. My tank is just as clear imo. YMMV Cheers said:
How is your ORP? That would be my only incentive to run ozone. I ordered a CO2 scrubber to test out first."]
My ORP hovers around 340mv.

Cheers,

@ReefNut2010 wrote:
I forgot that point. You want to run all ozonated water through a carbon reactor with plenty of carbon in it. If you have tangs you'll need to monitor usage of the carbon as to much usage of carbon is bad for them. said:
Never had any hlle issues running carbon 24/7 for 7years. I keep any carbon fines out of the DT by passing all water over a sponge.

Cheers,

@ReefNut2010 wrote:
I forgot that point. You want to run all ozonated water through a carbon reactor with plenty of carbon in it. If you have tangs you'll need to monitor usage of the carbon as to much usage of carbon is bad for them. said:
Never had any hlle issues running carbon 24/7 for 7years. I keep any carbon fines out of the DT by passing all water over a sponge.

Cheers,