any one know about JBJ chiller

i found a JBJ Arctica 1/2 hp chiller few month old will it work great for 300g? i found somewhere online that had said they were made for cold water tanks?

http://www.aquariumsupplystore.com/Productspages/JbJ-Arctica_chillers.htm

Not just for cold water. They will work fine for reef as well.

JBJ has an online sizing calculator here: http://the.dataconcepts.com/jbjlighting/prod-arctica-chiller-size.asp

I have a 1/4 JBJ on my 120. Works like a champ.

ok it said i would only need a 1/4hp this thing is 1/2 does any one think this would be too much of a chiller? or wast of electricity? i would run it on my ac jr. planing a 300g with prob atleast 100g sump plus maybe plumb a 50g frag tank into it also?

It's definitely more chiller than you need, but if the price is right then go for it. It will be nosier and take up more space than a 1/4hp unit would though.

Be sure to check out the water flow specs for it ( jbjlighting.com, i think). You might need a pretty hefty pump to push water through it. If you don't push enough water through it, it will short-cycle which is power inefficient and can wear the unit quicker. A smaller unit might could get away with a smaller pump.

Assuming you have the flow you need, it will do it's job and stay off longer than an 1/4hp chiller would. So energy consumption is probably about the same. One thing I've learned about chillers is that you want them off as much as possible. :lol:

JBJ's have a good reputation. I prefer Teco simply because if something does go wrong, they are local and the turn around is fast. Should be fine with a JBJ however. The HP on a chiller is kind of secondary to the amount you need to chill, meaning the temp drop. That is the important number. If you are not having a major heat problem requiring you to drop 5-10 degrees at a time, then you should be fine with that model. If you only need it to turn on a few times a day and knock it down a degree or three, you'll be just fine.

Example.. my Teco I had on my 140 (250G total) was a 1/3 HP... When I got my 300g I did not want to drop an extra grand or so on a 1 HP Teco or Oceanic so hooked up the 1/3HP to see how it did. Once I managed to control the flow properly, its running a bit more than it did before, but it has no problem keeping up. I say it runs maybe 1 hr a day total, in the late afternoon for 5-10 minutes at a time and I have nearly 450G total water volume on the system now. Tecos are actually more efficient and under estimated on their models for sizing.

With a 300, plus sump you'll be looking at at least 400G and most sizing charts will have you in the 3/4 HP to 1 HP.

When you get your tank and plan out the setup, just make sure your lights are off the water, you have ample evaporation and ventilation and see what happens. Worse thing that can happen is you have to upgrade at some point. So long as your house is kept at a decent temp, say below 75 and you have the right setup with good pumps and all, you shouldn't need to drop the temp more than a few degrees at a time. Its worth it to get a quality used one and see how it does next summer vs dropping 1000-1500 on a new one and find out you don't need one that big.

This is one of the few instances where I recommend buying small and trying it out first, especially if you can get a good price on a used one. Chillers hold their value so you should be able to get what you paid for it if you need to buy a new one next year.

Just make sure when you plumb and position it in the setup, you allow yourself ample room and ease of disconnect to swamp it out later if its needed.

The other thing to consider... if your AC goes out yet you still have power. While a smaller one will be fine if the house temp stays good, if you find yourself without AC in July or August but have power in the house, a smaller one WILL have more difficulty keeping up and if you are concerned with that at all, than I would make the investment and go with a 3/4 or 1HP.

a 1/2hp on 300 +plus in not oversized at all it is prob just right. You want to be oversized than undersized on a chiller. think of it as an a/c for the house if you run a bigger size (seer) a/c it will cool the house faster so less electricity is being used.

I have been running a JBJ Chiller for three years now on our 200 gal tank with approx 250 gal in total water volume without any problems. By the way it is located in the garage where the temps run 120 degrees during the summer months. Not the best environment for a chiller but it works.