Anemone in a reef tank??

What's the secret to keeping an anemone in a reef tank? I have always shied away from adding one because I know they like to move around and will sting any corals they touch. So often I see pictures of members beautiful reef tanks packed with corals and anemones, so what's the secret to adding one if these guys without sacrificing corals? I have been told that if I wanted an anemone that it should have been the first piece of livestock in the tank so that it could find a happy spot and then start placing corals. Is that so? And if not any tips to introducing a bubble tip to an established tank with lots of corals? Is it something specific with the bubble tips anemones that they are "more safe" than other types?

I think you had it right there. Add it first and then add the corals is the safest but sometimes they just move so be prepared to move stuff out of their way.

following along. My buddy has a rbta and it's like the size of a baseball glove. like a ft wide. it stings the crap out of everything. but i love my clownfish. do i really need an anemone? most say No. but they're my pets and i want what's best for them. Having an anemone host will most certainly keep them happy. I'm thinking a frogspawn maybe a good alternative. at least i can trim those vs. an anemone with it's foot based way behind rock structures impossible to get to.

They don't have to have an anemone and will typically find a spot to call home in your tank. Mine have cozied up to a big finger leather in one tank and a frogspawn in the other.

I have Sherman that stays in it's spot, but it is a good 12" across and I do have a "Zone" with no corals, but the Nem fills out that area REAL nice. Maybe if you are wanting an Anemone, but not specific to what kind, maybe a Carpet anemone....

The trick for me was to place it on a rock with a lot of holes in it. I have added 2 anemones using this method and they stayed where I placed them. Anemones like to place their foot in a hole or in a crevice.

9adu8ave.jpg
alt="">

That holds true for bubble tips. They like to be in between 2-3 rocks to protect their foot.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Looks nice etphi

My anemone is around 14 inches and has two holes he likes to expand through. I had to make sure that all my corals are not within reach of him when he expands through either hole.
His foot never moves but sometimes he shrinks and pops out the other hole.
The left side of my tank is dense with corals, the right side just has zoas and rbta.
I think the only key to keeping an anemone is stable water parameters and good lighting. I believe they are pretty easy to keep and not very demanding.
Those who have had an anemone for a while, does yours ever move? Mine doesn't budge!

My anenome has it's own rock and has moved around on that rock but usually stays pretty much in the same spot. That rock is a coral free zone. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

both my BTA and Condy anems have done sudden moves in the past and I was expecting mass devastation, I had a green stylophora that was hit hard for a few weeks but came back just fine, my acropora's had no issues after a few days. I expected it to be much worse than it was.