And I begin my Upgrade Dilemma.....Which is Better?

:? My pc lighting in my 24 gallon aquapod is making me nervous. Its been making alot of noise lately, kinda making nervous about it burning out or something. Well i always said i would upgrade, i guess i will be soon. But my Dilemma is the

SunPod HQI Metal Halide
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=13975

or

Current Nova Extreme Pro Saltwater
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+13822+18700&pcatid=18700

I cant decide they are almost the same price. Which is better?

Im not a fan of HQI over a small tank, they put off a lot of heat and I like T-5 color options and flexibility, also it will be cooler.

I keep softies, favoriting palys and zoas. I want to get one so my zoas and palys will grow bigger and spread more. Also im iterested in some birdsnest and a chalace or two. Like bubblegum monster or superman monti. Would the T-5s be the better choice for what im wanting?

Go with a T5 24" retro kit from a good maker. Like Icecap, Reefgeek...
The Current Extreme is marginal ballasts and icky reflectors. Also, why pay for the bulbs that come with it because you'll want to replace those immediately. If you ever want to move into SPS or clams, the Nova really isn't going to do it for you.

@myownkeeper wrote:
I keep softies said:
Those are lower light corals.. especially the chalices and the montipora, so T-5 would be just fine. With 6 bulbs you'll have enough light to keep just about anything depending on your bulb configuration.

@DheereCrossing wrote:
Go with a T5 24" retro kit from a good maker. Like Icecap said:
The pro has individual reflectors for the bulbs which is fine. The lights for what he is keeping will be fine for a time too, but change them around 4 months or so to higher quality bulbs if you can find them at 18W or just change out the Nova branded ones more regular.

He can't go 24W or retro unless he builds a canopy or some sort of fixture and that tank is only 20" so the bulbs would hang over, that is why he is looking at the 20" fixture.

I am also looking for a lighting fixture for our, yet to be built, frag tank. It will also be 24 inches wide but I am planning on keeping SPS frags in that tank.

@myownkeeper wrote:
would 250 watt be to much for my 24 gallon aquapod? im almost positive i want the HQI Sunpod but the 150 or 250? said:
That would depend on how deep the tank is for example 18 inches or less I would go with 150W and up to 24 inches the 250. This would be with the light fixture 8 to 12 inches above the water.

@washingtond wrote:
[I]@myownkeeper wrote:[/I][quote="would 250 watt be to much for my 24 gallon aquapod? im almost positive i want the HQI Sunpod but the 150 or 250? said:
That would depend on how deep the tank is for example 18 inches or less I would go with 150W and up to 24 inches the 250. This would be with the light fixture 8 to 12 inches above the water."]

+1 if you're going MH

150W would be good for about anything in the tank. 250W would be a little strong in that small of a tank, plus heat. I have a 150W on a 34 gallon cube and it works just fine. My wife mainly has zoos, but also montis, birdsnest and smaller SPS frags.

150w is perfect, and may be a bit overdoing it unless you raise that light about a foot above the tank depending on your reflector.

i realy want sunset montipora and superman montipora, my two favorites. But i read somewhere that 150W on the 24aquapod isnt enough for the sunset montipora. Im realy concerned about that, if i need to upgrade i need to upgrade to the lighting i need for the sunset. what do you guys think?

@myownkeeper wrote:
i realy want sunset montipora and superman montipora said:
What you read is incorrect... the sunset is not a high light coral... best coloration is moderate lighting. 150W over a 24G will be ample for it, but you will need to adjust its placement until it finds the happy zone to get the bright green polyps and hazard cone orange. Too little light, it goes burnt orange.. too much it will go peach/orange. The polyp extension will depend on the flow. Puffy carpet like polyps low/medium flow. If it looks like a golf ball with polyps pulled in its in too much flow. Same with the superman, though it tolerates higher lighting better.

Spectrum of bulb will play a role too... the less blue, 10K ish.. will dull out.. the higher 14K or 20K the more color you will get.

Also calcium and mag will need to be kept well into the 400 and 1400 range for proper growth and coloration.

thanks dave your info about sunset realy helps.... so i guess the 150 is the way im gona go, yay the cheaper one haha. so dave do you think i could also keep some superman montipora as well?

@myownkeeper wrote:
thanks dave your info about sunset realy helps.... so i guess the 150 is the way im gona go said:
Any montipora will be fine... you'll just have to adjust the height in the tank to suit its individual needs.