And from the what on earth is this dept?

JumboAg99

Membership Expired
[I noticed this last night on my hydnophora. In under a day it has grown to the bubble you see now.

1) What is it?
2) Is this bad?
3) If 2 is yes, what should I do for it?

hydnophora_01_2005-0401.jpg
alt="">]

[It is a green algae bubble - valona? Emerald crabs eat them. DO NOT "pop" it, as it will spread, and toxic stuff in it, too.

I'm sure someone will come along with the correct name / spelling.]

[I've had small amounts of bubble algae in the tank before and this looks different.

This is much bluer/purpler and is for lack of a better description "hairy".]

[It isn't related to the coral. Hydnophoras drip a piece off the coral, like this one:

borneman_bubble.jpg
alt="">

borneman_drip.jpg
alt="">]

[It's alive whatever it is. It shrank and almost completely disappeared into the coral once the lights went off. My assumption is that it will re-inflate once the lights go on tomorrow.]

[
It shrank and almost completely disappeared into the coral once the lights went off. My assumption is that it will re-inflate once the lights go on tomorrow. said:
That sounds like cyanobacteria. See if you can siphon it out.]

[The pic of your coral and the one Marc posted do not look like the same coral. It almost looks like a piece of bubble algae with hair algae growing on it, bubble algae wouldn't go away at night though.

I'd email the folks at wwm on this one, be sure to include a good description and the pic. crew@wetwebmedia.com]