AI Hydras

FuDz Cwerner

Membership Expired
Im in the process of upgrading my Sols to Hydras...but I bought a used Hydra to add to my 210g. The used one is much brighter than my other ones, and I think it has the 50 degree optics on it. Has anyone else upgraded to the 50 degree optics so I can get an idea of what the lenses look like? My Vega has the clear lenses on it and are different from the ones on the used Hydra. Unfortunately the seller is not responding to any of my questions now. Thanks for any help.

So your Hydra is brighter than the Sols you upgraded with a kit if I am understanding your question correct?

Hydra lenses are frosted diffuser type and, given the different LEDS mounted on the pucks, I would e-mail AI and check with them to see if a lens swap is possible if that is what you are wanting to do. Best to check first to ensure the cutout for the LED is large enough and in exactly the right spot for the pucks otherwise you could crush a LED.

Thanks Mike for the reply...I figured we had a lot more AI users in the club.

My Hydras are not brighter than my Sol's, as would be expected. My question is I have 3 hydras, but one of them seems to be a lot brighter than the others. I bought it used and I suspect it has the 50 degree optics on it. I know about the frosted lenses vs the single Vega that I have has clear lenses on it. I submitted a question to AI.

Okay, I understand what you are asking now. If the lenses are anything like to Sol lenses, there should be some sort of identifying mark like a dot (or lack of) to indicate if it is different. If they are mounted in such a way that would be easy to remove them and take them apart you could probably just pull and compare lenses.

Thanks again for the help Mike. I plan on taking it apart this weekend and see if I can figure it out. The lens are different from the Vega and Sol's. I also have a help request into AI. Hopefully after buying 10 different AI lights from them, they won't mind supporting me on a 1 used fixture.