Advice on Good LED Strips

311Sean

Premium Member
All, I am running a 4 bulb T5 on a 75g softie tank. I am looking to move from a 4 bulb to 2 bulb, but add LED strip(s) that will keep the PAR in the same range. Keep in mind, one of the 4 bulbs is a ATI Purple + which doesn't have a whole lot of value, other than coral coloring. So basically, I am going to move from 2 Blue +, 1 Coral + and one Purple + to a 2 bulb fixture with one Coral + and 1 Blue +. That means, I am trying to find similar wattage on the 39W Blue + I will be losing. My question: What sort of sites and/or strips would you all recommend. I am looking at Vertex strips right now, as I know what they have to offer. Let me know, thanks!!

Any thought to keep the 4 bulb fixture and doing a diy led strip? Do a blue strip and use the t5's for the spectrum... you could dim it to match what color you like in the tank

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I've considered that as well actually. I do have a very low watt LED strip in there right now, that I use for sun up/down. It's good, just doesn't give coral the LED pop I am looking for. Basically, the tank is about to go from a softies tank with one very large monti to nems, goniopora, alveopora and high end and/or wild caught chalice. Do you or anyone else at that, believe nems will "starve" with only a 2 bulb fixture and equivalent LED? Should I keep the PAR I have as I am moving to a more difficult/expert level coral tank? Thanks

Well, if you've made up your mind to go 2 T5s, I would do 2 Coral+, and a DIY Royal blue strip from RapidLED. They have the 12 LED actinic kit real cheap. You can add 2 more LEDs to the strip because the driver will run 14. If your tank is 4 foot long you could run 21 LEDs. 14 LEDs on a 3 foot heat sink, or 21 on a 4 foot should be cool enough without a fan. You could even overdrive the T5s, I guess, although I have not done that before. They say that you must run fans on the ends of the T5s if you overdrive them. I plan to set up something just like this on my 29 gallon tank.

Thanks for the input as well DFW!! 2 Coral + would make more sense for sure. And RapidLEDs is actually the one I couldn't think of the name when I sent this. Definitely need to look at them! I do need more lighting for my 150g as only run a 4 bulb T5 as of now. I'm looking to add 2 strips to that, as I am going SPS there. I was looking at the Vertex strips, but will check out the Rapids now. I do need to get light in there quick, as I just split a case of wild caught high end acro coming from Indo. DFW: Do you think sticking with the 4 bulb is a better solution for nem, goniopora, alveapora and chalice tank or 2 bulb with a strip that replace a t5? Thanks

I have 4 tubes on this 65, plus a 14 RB RapidLED strip, and 16 RB Epistar LEDs on 4 spotlights. It is an all acropora tank. I run Epistars 13 hours/day, T5s 9 hours/day, and the Cree/Luxeon RB strip 6 hours/day. T5s are 1 purple plus, 2 coral plus, and 1 blue plus. Having said all of that, I don't keep the coral that you mention, so would only offer a guess really. I like what I am doing with this setup on this for acros! And I know I like a mix of T5s with RB LEDs. If you have a place to put a strip on the front of the tank, you could angle it toward the front of the corals, and so light up what you look at from the front. I would likely keep the T5s. I don't use any optics on mine although an optic here and there to increase par in a certain spot is a possibility.

Awesome, thanks again DFW!! My 150g is definitely going to b an acro heavy tank with chalice, acan, rics and what not on the bottom. I'm going to look at 2 LED strips for front and back on that. I think I might consider keeping 4 bulb t5 on 75g as it's been up for 3 years now and hav never had an issue with that lighting. I might just add another LED strip to the front which I can steal one from the 150g when going full on LED supplemental lighting. One last question: Where can one purchase a fixture for the DIY Rapids, as I see it comes with everything but that? Thanks!!

BTW - I need to come check out your tank one day, as I've been meaning to grab some stuff off you.

There is a hood on my display tank, so it is all diy. I don't know about a fixture. I will likely fashion a box of some sort to hang over my 29 gallon. I have not thought about how I will do it yet. I could do another hood I guess.

Come on by! I am around here a lot sometimes. I do get busy from time to time though.

You might give BuildMyLed a look. Don't have personal experience with them, but they are supposed to be great lights at a good price.