Adding dry rock to existing system

TexAgReefer

Premium Member
I have a 38g system that has been running for about 3 years. I am transferring it over to a 50g with sump so total water volume will be closer to 70g. Id like to add 1 or 2 peices of dry rock(never been in saltwater). Would doing that cause a mini cycle? I have too many LPS that I’d be afraid to lose. 

It possibly could. If you're going to do that, make sure the LR is thoroughly clean of any possible junk. I would be tempted to let them soak in some tank water left over from a water change, scrub them, then add them.You can also do acid and bleach cures to make sure they're properly clean.https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/brstv-investigates-what-is-the-best-way-to-cure-dry-live-rock/ And just be sure to monitor and maybe test for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates a bit more frequently after the new LR has been added.

If its dry rock probably not, wash it thoroughly beforehand or cure it using what Heath posted. If they're small pieces it's even less likely. 

Posted by: Michael V. If its dry rock probably not said:
It is dry rock and they are small. Maybe I’ll add one at a time and test frequently.  I like the the idea of soaking it in some old tank water to wash off any rock dust/dirt. 

I would get some Micro Bacter7 and let the benefit bacteria build up on it so it don't start a cycle thats just me