Adding a BTA

I am supposed to be getting a new bubble tip anemone this weekend (my first). How do you add these to an established reef? I have read they like to move around until they find a spot they like. But when they do this, don't they harm other corals in the process? How do you prevent this from happening? I want to add one of these but not at the risk of killing everything that's in my tank now.

That is the risk you take with anemones. There is no guarantee that they will or will not move. Mine moves from time to time and it lands where it is happy (at the moment). My dads has not moved 1 inch from the place he added it several months ago. Why? Your guess is as good as mine.

Is it possible for you to place the majority of your corals on the sand bed or on frag racks for the first few days? If so, this may be your best bet to avoid any damage to the other corals.

Mine has never moved either. I've had it for 4 years. It is positioned fairly close to the top and not too far from a powerhead so it gets a good amount of light and flow. Plus mine has two clowns that host in it. So try placing it where it will get good light and flow so that it likes the spot and doesn't want to move on you.

Okay, thanks. I've read of people building them a freestanding area of rockwork in an ideal spot for them to move around on. That way when they move they won't touch other corals (unless they decide to unattach and float). The article said to make the rockwork have lots of crevices. Here's the link to the article: http://www.reeftime.com/reef-articles/anemones/recent-experiences-bubble-tip-anemones/22.htm. See the section titled "bommies."Does this sound like it would work?