Acreichthys tomentosus

cabo

Membership Expired
I added a Acreichthys tomentosus (Seagrass Filefish) to my 210 setup for Majano control. I had them everywhere. i would kill a bunch with Joe's Juice and a week later they would be everywhere again.

After adding the Filefish I thought it was a failed experiment. ( I read in one of the hobby mags that it would work). 4 weeks and majanos everywhere. Then one day I was looking in my tank and not a majano to be found. The filefish finally did his job!

Prior and after this The filefish would eat anything I feed the tank. i have never seen him pick at polyps or corals and no appear to have nibbled at.

Just to prove to myself he did the job I added a piece of live rock from my frag tank that was covered in Majanos to my DT..in 24 hours it was majano free.

Just thought I would share this.

good info. I've always loved file fish. I tried an orange-spotted file in a non-sps reef, obviously, and it did pretty good for about 6-9 months. I don't think it ever developed a taste for frozen or any other prepared foods I tried. I've been hesitant to attempt one again, but the genera as a group is full of beautiful, beautiful fish. One of the prettiest out there IMO.

I have also been looking for one for awhile now without success. I think I finally got mine under control with injections. Let me know if your "source" can get anymore and post a pic if you got one handy.
Thanks