Acclimation is a myth? Maybe

Bangemslim

Membership Expired
I did a water change on Sunday and changed my filter sock with it. Put the sock sit in a bucket of fresh water I use to rinse equipment after scrubbing and cleaning in the sink. Forgot about it until today and started rinsing the sock and noticed a shell from what I thought was a crab and figured what ever it was it was dead from shock between salt and fresh water. However I threw it in a tank that has no inhabitants just in case it was alive. An hour later a nasarrius snail is crawling around. So after 58 hours in rodi water it's still alive after a .026 rise in salinity. Is this snail able to survive anywhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They will close up if conditions are not right and keep moister for a while like a couple days. Much longer then that it will try and look for better place to live but die if it can't find somewhere. Think of it like a snail trapped in a low tide pool and then it rains a lot but the high tide never makes it back to him that day. but the following day he goes on an adventure and finds the shoreline to continue his snail life.

Sent from pay phone in the airport.

I didn't think about the tide. I know they crawl on the lid and above the water line just thought for minutes at a time. Do you know if this species can survive in fresh water? Or could it have been the salt buildup on the sock?

Snails are particularly good at closing up and pretending the outside world doesn't exist for a while, but not indefinitely. Its also worth noting that a healthy creature can generally take a shock ok, but a creature that spent half the last month on boats, airplanes, and LFS tanks getting attacked by disease, starvation, and other issues may be less inclined to take it well.

That's cool. I do that too but not for survival haha. If it was beached(basically) and it rained would that water be like the same specific gravity as rodi?