40g rimless, shallow SPS tank

chrisrush

Premium Member
I was hoping to continue my 60g tank that I had in Dallas, but upon moving it to storage and then to Austin, the front corners of the tank were chipped. The tank still holds water, but I don't feel comfortable having the tank in a rental house. So, I figured that I would buy or build another tank. I was originally going to buy a 100g AGE tank in Houston, but after talking with my wife, I decided to use my old glasscages sump (24x24x16) as a display tank. This tank fits perfectly on my stand and after a few modifications (drilling a hole and attaching an overflow), will work nicely as a display tank.

I painted the back of the tank with black and dark blue but I have no idea how it will work until I get water into it.

Some equipment specs:

40 gallon display (24x24x16)
700 gph overflow with 1.5" drain from glassholes.com
20g long sump
ATI sunpower 6x24w T5 fixture
ATB 840 v1.5 skimmer (delivered soon hopefully)
Profilux controller with dosing station (bailing method)
Grey Seas Aquatics Kalk reactor
10-15g top off tank
2 - 35g water storage tanks in the garage (still finishing up plumbing on these)
Ocean runner 3500 return (~600 gph)
2 - 6055s tunze pumps
2 - 6025 tunze pumps modded
3/4" sea swirl for the return

I'm not sure what tunze pump I will run in the tank, I will see how much flow is required. I'm going to run a shallow sand bed (seaflor grade sand) along with minimal rock work in the display (due to short height). I will put additional rock in the sump as needed.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow, but I wanted to get the tank log started.

Chris

Glad to see you're back up and running, and that the move is done. I look forward to seeing some pics and I hope you can find some nice corals down there.

@SirRicsAlot wrote:
Glad to see you're back up and running said:
I've got my SPS banked in Dallas right now with Jerone (jhammond). I'm planning on coming to Dallas over Labor day to pick up the corals and perhaps the fish from Ryan (Servo).

I'm quite happy to be done with the move, at least for the next 2 years.

@blide wrote:
Nice... Welcome to the excessive hardware 40g club! :D said:
Thanks for the invite, Mr. President. I'm going to get some conduit and a bender this weekend to make a light bracket. Got any suggestions?

Chris glad to see you are back in the addiction.

The new upgrade for profilux controllers comes out in Oct from my understanding there is a new front display plus some new features

@kuyatwo wrote:
Chris glad to see you are back in the addiction. The new upgrade for profilux controllers comes out in Oct from my understanding there is a new front display plus some new features said:
Sounds cool. Do you know the details regarding the upgrade, i.e., can it be exchanged for a fee, etc. I think that I read something about it, but I don't recall the exact info.

From my understanding you buy the upgrade and install it yourself you keep the housing and replace the major components.

@kuyatwo wrote:
From my understanding you buy the upgrade and install it yourself you keep the housing and replace the major components. said:
That's what I remember as well. I need to get on the RC website again and see what the upgrades will be. I need to fire up my profilux to make sure that it is still operational as well. I fired up the ATI sunpower last night. I'm really impressed, I think it is an excellent fixture.

I see you're going to run a sandbed... I also decided to run a sandbed this time and really like the look, but I forgot about all the crap that comes with having one. The two things that get on my nerves are fish stirring the sandbed and having to flip snails over when the fall off the glass! It seems like everytime I walk up to the tank I have to flip over an Astera because it's stuck upside down in the sand. :eek:

Got the tank hooked up today and have rocks, sand and water in it. I'm working on the light fixture and it should be up tonight. Then I'm going to sit back and wait for a few weeks until around Labor day until I get my corals. I may buy a fish or two, but who knows.

On to some pictures:

Tank with sand
with_sand.jpg
alt="">

Close up with Seaswirl and glass-overflow.com drain and blue/black background
top_seaswirl.jpg
alt="">

Tank with rock (about 75lbs of rock, there will be much less when I aquascape.
first_rock.jpg
alt="">

From office doors
side_shot_40g.jpg
alt="">

Simple plumbing (1" drain, 1" return)
plumbing_.jpg
alt="">

Stand with Profilux in drawer and 2part solution containers
drawer.jpg
alt="">

GSA kalk reactor
gsa_kalk_reactor.jpg
alt="">

ATI sunpower (6x24w)
sunpower.jpg
alt="">

Still waiting on my skimmer (hopefully this week).

that looks great chris - that is the nicest sump i have seen, i mean, display tank :)

did you get the light hanger made?? did you go with the conduit pipe with pipe bender??

Sweet! This 40g club stuff is awesome! hehe

I really like that fixture. Did you buy that new? What did you do with your other T5's that were on your old tank?

@blide wrote:
Sweet! This 40g club stuff is awesome! hehe I really like that fixture. Did you buy that new? What did you do with your other T5's that were on your old tank? said:
Bought the sunpower from reefgeek, it was a pretty good deal at $419.

Ask the gentleman who posted above you about my old T5 setup. It will be his soon.

i really like the looks of the sunpower fixture - i hope to get one of those in the future for my 36" tank ... of course, i can't wait to put up your old lighting on my home tank ... great work - it is going to turn out very nice.

I'll try and get some additional pictures up tonight with the sunpower. Hopefully I'll have it up on the conduit, but who knows.

@chrisrush wrote:
Profilux controller with dosing station (bailing method) Grey Seas Aquatics Kalk reactor said:
I thought i read somewhere you cant do both together kalk and two part.