30G Oceanic Seahorse Tank

G

I think my interests in Nano's and Seahorses are the slowest forums on DWFMAS so I'm just going to blow them up by myself. [smilie=lol.gif] Below are details on the Seahorse tank I've had setup for a few months.

For the overflow I am running a 1" Herbie with a 13.5"x4.5" glass overflow. This was my first time drilling a tank. I was nervous at first but it all went well. Return pump is Rio 2500 heading back to the tank via some black vinyl tube and 3/4" PVC.
Herbie works great and I love the extra safety of the emergency pipe. Only problem is after the return pumps starts up it doesn't always end up with the same flow rate. I'm not really sure what is causing that problem.
photo21.jpg
alt="">
I picked up a 50 QT plastic container for the sump. Fit's like a glove in the stand. I will build some sort of acrylic enclose for the return pump to keep the mico bubbles out. Protein Skimmer I have is a SCA-150, it's working well so far.
photo22.jpg
alt="">
IMG_0172.jpg
alt="">
Lighting is a mix of philips luxeons and bridgelux LEDs. Royal Blue, Neutral White and a couple of UV. Here is my layout.
LED.png
alt="">
I started with two H. Reidi but one didn't make it. My current female seems lonely and I'm thinking about adding one or two more. I did have a firefish, clown goby and a Neon Dottyback a few weeks ago. Unfortunately the Dottyback killed the firefish and goby. [smilie=worried.gif] The DB never bothered the seahorse but I didn't want to have such an agressive fish in the tank and sold him.

Current Stocking list:
H. Reidi
2 Peppermint Shrimp
2 Emeralds
Blue Legs
Nassarius
Nerites
Ceriths

Corals/Algae:
Purple Leather
Kenya
Red Acan
Purple/Green Acan
Few Random Zoas
Dragons Breath
Red Grape Algae
Green Grape Algae
Red Branching Algae

FTS - Just noticed a rock fell. The top of the Arch actually looks much better.
IMG_0168.jpg
alt="">

Star of the show.
SH.jpg
alt="">

@vrba wrote:
Really nice pony tank. That photo of the seahorse is really cool. Nice job. said:
Thanks! The pics looked much better before uploading. Might need to try something other than photobucket.

How do you keep your tank cool enough for sea horses? I've been interested in trying some out, but worry about temps. I have read they like lower 70's.

@Hook'em2006 wrote:
How do you keep your tank cool enough for sea horses? I've been interested in trying some out said:
I guess I left out that small piece of info on my original post. I keep my apartment at 72 and I'm able to keep the tank under 73 with a fan blowing across the top of the tank. I use a reef angel to control the temp.

I also dose probiotics to help fight any harmful protozoa. Here is a link to the probiotics - http://www.seahorsesource.com/cgi-bin/shop/detail.cgi?id=115000

@mmiller40 wrote:
How do you like your sca skimmer? I have the 180 version. said:
It's really inconsistant. To keep it skimming effectively I have to adjust it all the time.