30 Gallon Nuvo Reef Aquarium with custom stand

jtapgar

Membership Expired
The husband and I just bought a 30 Gallon Nuvo Reef Aquarium http://innovative-marine.com/nuvo-aquarium/micro30-reef-ready-0401K.html
Purchased the kit from MarineDepot.com - http://www.marinedepot.com/Innovative_Marine_30_Gallon_Micro_Nuvo_Aquarium_Dimmable_Reef_Ready_Kit_Saltwater_Aquariums_Complete_Kits-Innovative_Marine-0I10401-FIAQCK-vi.html

After having my son, I just haven't been able to keep up maintenance on the 90 gallon and the 12 gallon cube. We were looking for something very turn key, pretty in the living room with little weekly effort. This will have to do until I have the funds to build the 'dream' tank.

Good points:
  • Modern white matches my decor
    LED lights are good for 10 years with little to no heat output
    a tank cover so there is significantly less water evaporation
    a great filtration system

Things I would like to add
  • UV sterilizer
    nano skimmer
    another LED bar or a couple of stunners

The Stand I will be building out of two side tables my husband and I have been moving from place to place. We have just kept them around because they were practical. I am planning on stacking them, guerrilla gluing them together, drilling/sawing out an opening in the back to store cords and ballasts and painting a gloss white. I am considering adding a bit of decorative trim and a monogram but we'll see.

Sounds like it's going to be an awesome tank. I look forward to seeing you build. What's your stocking plan?

For stock I was planning on keeping it pretty with the white.

• A Must have is a blue tailed damsel we have named Bubbles that was are very first fish and the only one to survive all the tank moves. He's a bit big for a 30 at 2.5 to 3 inches, but it will have to do for now

We have one lonely clown that survived a year in the 12 gallon.

Planning on adding one clown to complete the pair and that will be all the fish

We sold a green carpet anemone (they eat the little clowns), but I love anemones. Thinking a red bubble tip, a long tentacle white with purple tipped anemone, and a purple one if I can find one - or blue.

I have some red hairy mushrooms that have lasted through the years I'd like to get in there.

The frogspawn died :( like to find some purple frogspawn or hammer tip

Fill in with some purple mushrooms and zoas?

We are about to buy a purple sofa and the the other colors in our space are a soft gold, espresso brown, and white. Would like to keep it color themed around these colors.

Set up specs: Innovative Marine Micro Nuvo 30 White Dimmable Reef Ready KIt

Package Includes:
  • Micro Nuvo 30 gallon Aquarium - White
    Skkye Light 18" 20 Watt Dimmable Dual Strip LED Fixture - White
    Innovative Marine Spin Stream - Return Nozzle
    Triple Combo Pack Filter Media
    Innovative Marine 30 Gallon Micro Nuvo Aquarium Information

MODERN AQUATIC ART
  • Make a BOLD statement with the Luxurious Micro 30. The perfect mid-size showtank with progressive features, stunning lines, and dependable quality. Relax and enjoy as it naturally blends with the ebb & flow of any decor while offering crystal clear water filtration and powerful water flow.

FEATURES
  • Aquarium:
    30 Gallon Capacity
    8 mm Bent Glass
    Tempered Glass Lid & Clips
  • Filtration:
    Acrylic Filter Wall w/ Dual Overflows
    (2) Media Basket
    Mechanical Sponges
    Activated Carbon Sponges
    Phosphate Sponges
    Designated Heater Column
    Designated Refugium Column
    Skkye Light 18" 20 Watt Dimmable Dual Strip LED Fixture Information

DIMMABLE FUSION
Experience the evolution of the All-In-One LED fixture with streamline design and straight forward innovation. Customize the spectrum & intensity of your aquarium with the simple twist of a dial. The Skkye Light offers the perfect fusion of high output LEDs for a complete illumination experience including daylight, sunrise/sunset, and lunar cycles. Onboard solid state rotary dials with on/off switches allow for fine tuning for color preference and acclimation within seconds

Features:
  • 1 Watt High Brightness LEDs
    120 lumens per watt
    2” Sliding Rods & Aluminum Casing
    Individual Reflectors for uniform coverage
    Passive Cooling – Silent Operation
    Modern slim design
    Pulse Width Modulation – Dimming
    Color Spectrum Range – 14K to 20K
    2 Channel Dimming – Daylight & Actinic
    3 Cycle Illumination
    14K Daylight
    456nm Sunrise/Sunset
    446nm Lunar
    Dimensions: 18" x 3.5" x 3"
    Wattage: 20W (9W Daylight, 9W Actinic, 2W Moonlight)
    Independent Power Cords + Cord Organizer
    Spin Stream Information

CATCH THE WAVE
Instantly create turbulent currents that mimic natural ocean tides with the “Must Have” accessory for the NuvoAquarium. Watch as your corals naturally sway back and forth as nature intended. The SPINSTREAM effortlessly exhausts random 40 degree circular wave patterns to enhance oxygen levels, coral expansion, and nutrient import/export.

Features:
  • Creates random 40°circular wave patterns
    Requires no additional electricity
    Improves oxygen levels
    Improves coral expansion & growth
    Helps remove waste from corals
    Fits ALL NuvoAquariums w/o adaptors
    Intended for use with flow rates between (52 – 600) gallons per hour

Just read my stocking plan: I'm such a interior designer all the way through

jaqeze7u.jpg
alt="">

Package with the tank set up arrived yesterday in a massive 4 foot tall box!!! Good packaging.

Glued and clamped down the tables, time to drill a couple holes and primer and paint

Just opened the aquarium box- MORE peanuts! Does anyone need packing peanuts, I've got about two garbage bags full. Seriously

Finished up the stand and it is a flawless fit! Matches the decor, strong, hides the cords...perfect.

Cleaned the tank of packing peanuts and discovered the pump connecter was broken :(

MarineDepot is having Innovation Aquariums send out a new one Monday. Good news is we had bout a couple Japanese pumps back in the day from Fish Gallery for a couple bucks we had lying around. It's 50 gallons per hour short of the one provided, but fits in the back and will do so we can get things up and running.

Lights look fabulous and unlike the nano cubes come with three separate power cords: night, white, and actinic blue.

du9a9ape.jpg
alt="">

Nice looking setup. Looking forward to seeing it wet! Are you going to add more powerheads in tank?

Ugh...power heads. I really like the streamline look of this tank and would hate to mess with that. I know the pump we are using is below what is supplied, but the flow just doesn't appear strong enough. Think I will end up possibly upgrading the pump to a higher output and possibly needing a small power head in addition. Will decide when we get it all set up.

I got it filled with water tonight and added salt. No leaks. Humming away. Tomorrows task is to get some live sand from the old tank and generally start breaking the old tank down, scrape algae off the rocks and pick which ones I want to keep.

I hear you, only semi sleek looking power head is a vortech. The only negative impact of a more powerful return pump is that the water will have less contact time with any media you have in the back chambers.

In my JBJ 30 I have a Tunze 6025, 2x Koralia 425 and 1 Koralia 240. I have them hidden by rock work and the back of my tank is black. Cords are really going to stand out against that white. I'm sure you'll figure something out.

e9egazyp.jpg
alt="">

Went to begin breaking down big tank and everything just went really fast. Due to the gnarly nature of the big tank, as I began taking things out to get to the sand, I caught Bubbles the Damsel. Went ahead and put him in the tank. Yes, I know, didn't let it cycle, but he can't wait till it cycles and he probably would have died if I left him in. Dug and cleaned up some sand with salt water and put in the new tank. Not so clean that it wouldn't aid in a faster cycle.

9y7egaqy.jpg
alt="">

Cloudy water now, but closer to getting it together. The clown is still separate in a bucket with an aerator. Rocks and surviving mushrooms and coral are in a bucket. May move over my favorite large rock tonight and aerate the rest.

Added:

Red hermit crab
Misc. small snail
Sand sifting star fish

Yellow polyps
1 1/2 red hairy mushrooms
2 misc corals to be identified
1 Kenyan tree
Over 50 red mushrooms

yradehuq.jpg
alt="">

Water has cleared up. I woke up to my starfish wrapped around a piece of pink something that I'm guessing is my now dead clownfish?!?! Ugg

8ese5aha.jpg
alt="">

araqydu3.jpg
alt="">

Bubbles is looking good...he's a trooper

Tried my hand at fragging. Thing I tore one red hairy mushroom in half. Kept the side with the mouth and will see how it goes. Successfully fragged another. Got a couple pieces of yellow polyps. Tried fragging the Kenyan; it fell off its rock today. Hope for the best. I basically just used a hammer and chisel on the countertop

ajujeda2.jpg
alt="">

Sorry to hear about the clownfish. Damsels can live through a lot! Did you keep both sides of the mushroom? I've had rics with no mouths live to grow a mouth.

If you haven't already. The skimmer they make compatible for the tank works awesome. I have 4 clowns, 3 tangs and a flame angel in mine. It's amazing the amount of junk the little skimmer pulls out