3" cooling fan for smaller sump - Sometimes space is an issue!

melev

Club President
Staff member
Board of Directors
Sponsor
[I came home from the meeting today and found my home a little warmer than I would have preferred. The house was locked tight with the alarm on, and I'd not set the A/C to on yet. So needless to day, I quickly threw open the windows and doors, and checked both tanks. I prefer for them to be around 78, and both were already 83....

So I grabbed an extra fan I got from Hamilton some time back, and setting it in a clamp I balanced it over my sump.

Later that evening I starting thinking I could make something out of acrylic that should be rather snazzy, and this is what I ended up with. :D

3inch_fan.jpg
alt="">

3inch_cooling_sump.jpg
alt="">]

[Very nice Marc. Do you have it connected to a temperature controller? So it turns on when tank temperature gets over 78F?]

[No, that will have to come later. At this point it is simply on. If the water ends up getting too cool, I suppose my heater will kick on! ???]

[This one was shipped to me by Hamilton Technologies, the lighting company. I ordered some 24v fans (3" I'm pretty sure) from a guy on Ebay over month ago, along with a 24v ballast. I'll be hooking something up later as I finish healing from my surgery.

I got 4 24v fans, the ballast (that can run 8 fans if needed) and shipping for $50.]

[Marc -
I found several 24v muffin fan on ebay. Do you recall the guy's ebay handle - just in case he might sell more fans with 24v ballast. I'm not exactly sure how to hook up the fan. I bought 120v fan from radio shack. Those I know how to wire to a regular plug. :p]

@peterlin wrote:
[Marc - I found several 24v muffin fan on ebay. Do you recall the guy's ebay handle - just in case he might sell more fans with 24v ballast. I'm not exactly sure how to hook up the fan. I bought 120v fan from radio shack. Those I know how to wire to a regular plug. ] said:
[Peter, here is the email address if that helps.

"Bohl, Peter (ATSOR)"

Here is the paypal address I made payment to:

scottram@atsor.com

The wiring will be quite simple, the trick is keeping the ballast clean and dry. I may have to make an acrylic cover. :D

Whenever I finally get you the plans and price quote on your sump, if we meet I can show you the fans and the ballast I bought so you can see if you like the same. I'm still not working, so if you happen to be in the area, feel free to drop by to see them or discuss your sump again.]

[Thanks Marc.

Yes, I like the fans you got. But I did not pay attention to the ballast. I didn't think to look for it. I need to find a replacmenet fan for my fish tank. I had been using the 120 V that hook up to the house wire.

Hope you are getting plenty of rest. :)

Peter]

[Peter, I'd asked the guy in email for a power supply for the fans, and told him I didn't want to have to plug in 4 of those black transformers to run each fan since those usually cover two outlets. He then let me know that his one power supply would run all four fans easily.

Of course, I had no idea what I was getting, but it was $15 for it, so I said yes. When it arrived, it looks almost like a computer power supply, but open. The base is basically like a heat sink like the IceCap ballasts use. I didn't get any wire with it, so it is in the garage waiting for me to get creative again.

Maybe I'll post a picture of what I got from him to give you a better idea.]