29 Gallon reef (first corals just in and diy canopie)

I am starting up a 30 Gallon budget reef tank, My goal was to not go over $200 on the setup! I bought a 30 Gallon tank on the sale forum for $20 and a bag of live sand from Aquatic trading for $27.99, I have a fluval 405 i plan on using for filtration but the propeler and propeler cover is broken so that will cost me $30 to fix. Plus i had to change out the light bulbs on my 2 foot coralife power compact lights wich cost me $80 wich i was not expecting so it looks like i am going to go a little over budget. I have about 25 pounds of dead rock in my tank right now but i am going to buy 15 more pounds of lr on the forum wich if i get it for $3.00 a pound it will cost me $45. And plus i need to buy some filter media wich will be another $20. I already have a heater and thermometer. So the total price should be $225. I plan on a small snowflake eel to be the only inhabitant besides a few damsels but the tank is setup as a reef tank so ounce i get a job (im only 15 about to be 16) I should be able to start adding corals.
IMG_1613.jpg
alt="">
IMG_1608.jpg
alt="">

@Matt wrote:
Very cool. I love Snowflake eels! said:
Yep, i Just have to find one the right size now about 8 inches. the reson im doing a eel only tank is cause i cant afford to do a water change every week so i wanted to get something hardy that is also cool. I have had one before in my old 55 gallon but he was about 28 inches.

Rather than spend all that money fixing the impeller on your filter, try finding a used powerhead to push water through the filter. Often you can get more flow through the filter that way. Keep us updated, snowflakes are awesome!

Regards,
Phil

@ChloroPhil wrote:
Rather than spend all that money fixing the impeller on your filter said:
I already fixed it and have it going right now all i have to buy now is some more live rock. How long would you suggest i let it cycle im wondering if i should use turbo start or not?

I got the Filter fixed and have it going, plus i ended up buying a Top for it instead of making some getto riged setup. All i need now is some more live rock if enyone has some live rock for sale at a good price in the garland ,richardson,plano area tell me.

I obviously need to add some more water, But i got the filter going and here are some updated picks.

IMG_1615.jpg
alt="">

IMG_1616.jpg
alt="">

IMG_1617.jpg
alt="">

That will probley be my last update for awile because i am going to wait till christmas to get enything cause im broke. And give the tank time to cycle.

I have a snowflake eel that I'll be getting rid of. I've had him for about 5 months now and he is very healty and fat. PM me your email and I'll send you pics.

nice start...good luck with it...i can spare a bit of live rock that i have cooking for you if you still need it, help ya out a little...pm me to see if we can meet up

@Wes wrote:
nice start...good luck with it...i can spare a bit of live rock that i have cooking for you if you still need it said:
Thanks but i live about an hour away and i cant get my parents to take me that for but i apreciate the offer.

The tank has been up for two weeks i decided not to use turbo start but yesturday i added a yellow tail damsel to the tank. I have decided to scratch the eel i figured it would be more trouble than its worth so know its just going to be a reef i plan on doing mostly ricordias but im not sure here are some updated pics.

STA_1769.jpg
alt="">

STB_1768.jpg
alt="">

@Matt wrote:
You might consider opening up your aquascape a bit to prevent the dense rock pile effect. If not said:
Hmm ok i got a whole bunch of small tonga rock peices thats why its really hard to stack them so i kind of just layed them on each other.

MY first corals, some blue and purple trumpet coral from this girl loves coral. Also a hammer coral, small Green favia Frag, GReen and orange zoos, Button polyps, GReen Mushroom Rock from aentrop. And only paid $75 for everythingThank you both

IMG_1807-1.jpg
alt="">

IMG_1806-1-1.jpg
alt="">

IMG_1829.jpg
alt="">

IMG_1839-1.jpg
alt="">

IMG_1841.jpg
alt="">