1st clam

Just bought a clam at the local FS and all of my hermit crabs seem to be bothering it. Are they trying to clean it or they eating it? I pulled them off and dropped them in the fuge......for now.

clam08.jpg
alt="">

thanks Shane

Probably just picking algae off him. When I add new clams my fish and inverts give them a good cleaning. I wouldn't worry about small hermits. Now a big huge hermit I might worry about. Are we talking itty bitty less than 1" hermits or those huge ones some people have?

Yeah, my Yellow tang goes nuts when I add a new clam. He gives them a thorough "cleaning". The hermits and snails do too.

How did your clam end up?
I have lost 2 clams in 2 weeks
My water parm seem to be ok and I have good lighting
One was a tiny clam I bought on agroup buy the other was one I bought at a lfs

Anyone have any suggestions? As I have 1 clam left

JM

@bandito974 wrote:
How did your clam end up? I have lost 2 clams in 2 weeks My water parm seem to be ok and I have good lighting One was a tiny clam I bought on agroup buy the other was one I bought at a lfs Anyone have any suggestions? As I have 1 clam left JM said:
what type of lighting do you have and how long has your tank been up and running

When you say your crabs are picking on your clam what exactly do you mean? Are they picking at it's shell or the clam's mantles themselves? If it the shell I would not be too concerned but if you see them picking on its mantles then it could be a sign that the clam is in poor health. Crabs are scavengers (like vultures) and recognize when something is dying.

@kuyatwo wrote:
[I]@bandito974 wrote:[/I][quote="How did your clam end up? I have lost 2 clams in 2 weeks My water parm seem to be ok and I have good lighting One was a tiny clam I bought on agroup buy the other was one I bought at a lfs Anyone have any suggestions? As I have 1 clam left JM said:
what type of lighting do you have and how long has your tank been up and running"]

been up since before Jaunuary I bought it off a guy on this board,
I have a 30 inch current light with dual bulbs

if you have pc bulbs then that is not enough light for clams. Also i would wait at least s months before i add corals, anemones or clams as the tank is still new in my opinion