15K Solaris I4 Series Fixture

does anyone know anything about the 15K Solaris I4 Series Fixture? seen it, heard about it, have it, the good, and the bad.

Seems like that was the one we saw at our club meeting on Wednesday. Those that attended and noted model # might have more to say.

PAR was definitely very high, when compared to numbers reported for a 400w MH bulb.

Yes it's the one we saw at the meeting. I've been trying to keep up with the LED lights as much as I can... it's promising technology and probably the responsible "green" solution - but of course it's got its skeptics and nay sayers due to price too - but all new technology does right?

I just got a part time position at the Fish Gallery and I believe a tank will be set up in 1-2 months using this lighting. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Yes, I'm one of the naysayers :) I want to see PUR numbers, as well as someone comparing growth in the same tank with MH vs Solaris.

"as well as someone comparing growth in the same tank with MH vs Solaris."

Agreed! I want to see the same coral, 2 frags, 2 lights and see the difference.

Heck, throw one under 400, 250, PC/T5 and LED I think!

I forget the PUR numbers but PAR/PUR were both very high in some tests. I don't care for numbers though, I want to see growth/colors

have you seen this review of them? it shows par and pur as well as many other things.

the rep said they were working on doing some growth comparisons, i too am very interested to see how they turn out.

The lighting is interesting to say the least...

however I wish PFO or reps tested and provided results of some sort... it seems like they just measure light using meters and since the numbers register, they "must" work.

Replacement/supply after warranties run out is very sketchy... after a $2-5k lighting investment, if I were a customer I'd like to know I'll be able to get the same bulbs 3-5 yrs after setup. It's almost like this wasn't thought out.

I have yet to see even a tank using the lighting... kind of odd considering they're on letter "I" now and have been testing these various systems for several years now. A B C D E F G H I =/

Who were the beta testers for preparations A-G? Hehe

One thing that strikes me about this.. It's supposed to be a long term investment- how many pieces of equipment do you have that are 5-7 years old? How much technology from 5-7 years ago is still considered valid / appropriate? Seems like a hefty commitment.

^^ I agree... probably a powerhead, the bulb sockets and glass are among the few items that regularly last 5-7 yrs.

I just want low energy bills... a friend of mine told me about his 1k energy bills this summer... I can't afford that! I'm fixing to hard wire an extension cord directly into the city's power grid! muahahaha!

The best I can hope for on this is the DIY method. I don't really care about that computer controlled junk. The rep was sketchy on whether the new I series would be plug & play with any current tank controllers. That question seems to raise more eyebrows than the PAR levels at the meeting.
As for the PAR levels, ask the floor guy, he took a little one home for free....er a dollar :lol:
Lucky

no u didnt see mine for sale

this light is for a nano but i set it on top of my tank just to see what looked like ill have to take some pics later ive been BUSY anyways the light makes the tank look awsome the blue leds made colors come out of my coral that ive never seen before. I want the 48" I4 one wish my wife wasnt with me when the pfo lady sead $2800. oh there hasnt been a a,b,c model. There was a G and H4 models that have been discontinued the lady sead there working one one to reproduce 10k lights.