14g Biocube build ... first sw tank

Hello Everyone,
Just a little note before I show my build. I have been keeping tanks for a few years and I finally decided to try my
luck with a saltwater setup.I opted to get an all-in-one system and attempt to keep a nano before I decide to
convert my large tank (odd sized 140g) or not.

TANK:
Oceanic Biocube 14g

Stock:
15 lbs LR
15 lbs live sand
Scooter Blenny
Coral Banded Shrimp
2 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs
2 Turbo Snails

Mods:
Twin 80mm fans drilled into hood
Back filled with LR
more to come...

Progress:
Looking for coral :D

Some pics from the iPhone:

Yes, I know the tank is dusty
IMG_0424.jpg
alt="">

Coral Banded shrimp and Chocolate Chip starfish
IMG_0425.jpg
alt="">

More emphasis on the Coral Banded
IMG_0426.jpg
alt="">

Better Pics:

Tank, yes the heater is ugly... I am having trouble finding a smaller one to put in the back
mini-DSC02677.jpg
alt="">

Closer view of the LR
mini-DSC02679.jpg
alt="">

Scooter hanging out on the LR
mini-DSC02671.jpg
alt="">

Hood mod: Twin 80 mm fans drilled, also cut vent in top of hood, cut vents in light guard to help expell hot air. Not pretty, but keeps the tank cooler.

mini-DSC02674.jpg
alt="">

Looks like a good start. Is that scooter blenny eating frozen? They are similar to other dragonettes in that they often won't eat frozen food and need a very well established tank with plenty of live natural prey (amphipods/copepods) to survive. They can be trained to eat frozen, however. Also chocolate chip stars are not reef safe. They've been known to eat small inverts and fish. When I first started in the late 90s I had one forever and couldn't figure out why my fish, inverts, and even corals would go missing after a few months. Turned out to be the chocolate chip star.

I like the rock you picked out and your aquascaping. Is there no way you can fit the heater into one of those back compartments? I had a similar heater on our old 12 gallon nanocube and there was plenty of room in one of the back compartments to hide it.

Hegi,
Thank you, I appreciate what you said. Its also a little intimidating getting into something new.

Scooter Blenny is actually eating frozen, surprisingly. I was worried at first but he has been taking it more readily lately. Thanks for the tip on the star, I wouldn't have bought him but he was in a miserable setup at a LFS. I felt bad for him. He has been moving into the tank that is cycling (I check it every day so I doubt he will perish). If he makes it, I will find room for him somewhere. SW hobby... seems to just snowball. Funny.

The heater- I am actually going to cross the border (into the lone star state) and go find one, I really hate how ugly it makes the tank look.

If you look at my mantis bio cube 14 build you can see where i modified the back to fit a skimmer and a small visi-therm heater. They are cheap and kinda hard to set, but they are tiny about 7" total in length.

Got a 2nd nano, this one a 12. So decided to stock my BC14 with coral. Picked up some frags from 4 members, nothing real fancy just some
starter specimens:

Day 1:

mini-DSC02679.jpg
alt="">

Day 16:

mini-DSC02714.jpg
alt="">

Green Star Polyp- Its being shy- from justin
mini-DSC02729.jpg
alt="">

Pink Birdsnest from bill
mini-DSC02719.jpg
alt="">

Green Pocillopora from alex
mini-DSC02720.jpg
alt="">

Favia from chris
mini-DSC02722.jpg
alt="">

Red mushroom from alex
mini-DSC02728.jpg
alt="">

Sinularia from alex
mini-DSC02724.jpg
alt="">

mini-DSC02711.jpg
alt="">

Kenya tree from justin
mini-DSC02717.jpg
alt="">

green mushrooms from alex
mini-DSC02725.jpg
alt="">

Unhappy with the LR arrangement and overall look, so re-grouped

Day 18:

mini-DSC02744.jpg
alt="">

GSP:
mini-DSC02749.jpg
alt="">

Pink Birdsnest:
mini-DSC02750.jpg
alt="">

Red Mushroom:
mini-DSC02752.jpg
alt="">

Green Pocillopora:
mini-DSC02754.jpg
alt="">

Kenya Tree:
mini-DSC02755.jpg
alt="">

Green Favia: (not a great pic)
mini-DSC02747.jpg
alt="">

Did you pay $5000 for that star? Oh, no, there's no smiley face on it... :D

Hey, it looks great. I like the small setups and yours is a good one of them.

Day 21:

Just picked up a few more coral, so here they are. Im deciding where to move them to.

Entire Tank:
mini-DSC02758.jpg
alt="">

Green Zoa:
mini-DSC02759.jpg
alt="">

Just some xenia:
mini-DSC02760.jpg
alt="">

Kenya tree on a rock, one of my damsels hiding behind:
mini-DSC02761.jpg
alt="">

One of my damsels, this is a Talbot's Damsel:
mini-DSC02762.jpg
alt="">

What is that green stuff in the bottom left corner? Not GHA i hope...

Yes unfortunately, it came in on a marvelous piece of LR I purchased. I have been fighting it, trying not to lose that piece of rock but it may be easier to pull it. Then just battle the stragglers.

Update I meant to do awhile back

Day 24:

New coral

Zoas:

mini-DSC02781.jpg
alt="">

mini-DSC02790.jpg
alt="">

Whammin Watermelon Zoa, there is a Radioactive Dragon Eye on the backside you can just see as well as an unknown purple zoa
mini-DSC02784.jpg
alt="">

Eye of Rah Zoa
mini-DSC02783.jpg
alt="">

Devil's Hand
mini-DSC02782.jpg
alt="">

Day 31: Tragedy

Well, somehow the heater became unplugged and I was gone for the day so my tank went from a lovely 80 to a bone-chilling 70 degrees. Green poccilopora, pink birdsnest, kenya tree, green favia all gone. The devils hand isn't looking well. Moved them all immediately to a 3 gallon pico. Also have a cyano problem so doing the 3 days of darkness treatment

Empty tank before going dark
mini-DSC02842.jpg
alt="">

Crowded Pico with all my coral: yes GHA i know
mini-DSC02839.jpg
alt="">