12g Nano Cube save, Maybe ponies?

jtapgar

Membership Expired
I gave birth to my son back in mid December, we moved homes just 3 months prior to that, had to leave my 240 gallon behind and with everything going on with pregnancy, the newborn and the temp tank (a 100 gallon) being on the third floor and not the main living space, my tanks are in shambles. Setting up a 12 Gallon in the living room to save my green carpet anemone while I clean up the larger tank. This will give me a good chance to feed him daily and grow him big and strong :)

So I had originally set up this tank for my husbands office. The tank build thread is here: http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=76497 However, they turn the air off in the building on the weekends and the heat last summer was intense and pretty much crashed the tank combined with some serious apstatia (sp?) bad anemones that kept coming back no mater how many times I killed them off.

Great news: we broke the tank down and found that his pistol shrimp we haven't seen in well over a year is still a live and kicking!!! [smilie=rofl.gif]

Thinking about retrofitting with one of those LED kits? Anyone out there done that?

My ultimate goal is to save what corals have survived until I can get the floors rebuffed this month and get a custom tack built - thinking a 6-8' long by 12-18" deep and 12-18 deep. Something my floor can support, I can get up the stair, maintain easily with my short self and looks great in our new home that is my big project.

Then keep the 12 gallon for some seahorses or something fun and different I can't keep in the big one. Grow some plants in it since a refugium is difficult. At least there is still a healthy copepod populating in the rocks.

[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341105099.461357.jpg[/attachment]nice and grimy. Trying to save all the coralline I can on the back.

This tank is not modified, has three separate cavities in the back. Far left I put two cubes of the black filter and a bag of carbon/ammonia removing media.
[attachment=1]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341105356.117216.jpg[/attachment]
Middle section I filled with Figi Mud and small rocks. Hoping to get some copepods going again
[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341105403.564608.jpg[/attachment]
Far right has the return pump with another black foam block to protect the pump

Update: Tank has cycled, I put just two rocks in there - larger than I would prefer, but they had stuff we wanted to keep attached. My carpet green anemone is doing great and now easier to feed and I added a red bubble tip anemone to keep him company and two clowns to keep them both company.

Jon's coral banded shrimp we found still alive is doing great and I didn't de-claw him as previously thought. Added two peppermint shrimp to keep the pesky bad anemones away. Something about my husbands tank just loves these things.

Best of all, was able to start bringing back the color to one of the favia corals that I had that turned all white during my husband's office days. I learned this is called 'bleaching' and is an absence of color in coral polyps due to the loss of their symbiotic algae known as zooxanthellae. Bleaching is usually caused by stress events such as high temperature in the water. Zooxanthellae is a symbiotic algae that live within the tissues of coral polyps and give corals their color. They produce food for the corals through the process of photosynthesis!

No ponies so far, waiting till I can get a tank I really want downstairs. But was able to bring the two surviving corals back to life. Found out I didn't amputate the shrimp claw! Carpet anemone is doing great. Have a lot of detritus I need to clean out.[attachment=2]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344626881.119467.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344626904.769938.jpg[/attachment][attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344626952.751121.jpg[/attachment.these pics are from the beginning