125G Long Reef Tank & 40G Shallow Frag Tank

this is my first tank log, so please excuse any errors. thanks.

this has been a slow work in progress, as i am building these set ups, using tanks that were sold to me in less than perfect condition, considering i paid almost retail. i learned that youre better off buying new almost every time, unless if you think your time is worth nothing lol. i have learned the hard way. it took me almost 3 weeks to clean these tanks to make them look presentable. i also took the time to sand and refinish the stand, which looks a thousand times better now. at the very least, make sure what youre buying has been cleaned very well, so you dont have to, unless the deal is that great. that aside, every things besides the rocks (which are still being cured in the old tank) are ready and cleaned to be set up. We just cut a larger 6ft hole in the wall to accommodate the new-er tank, and for most of the work being done by an experienced me, i think it turned out great. the frag tank, will sit adjacent to the 125, with its own equipment. im actually debating running the frag tank into the DT's sump, right now, or whether to have an independent system. the first way would give me a lot of more room and wall sockets to run other projects. this is biggest decision i have not made yet. any input would be great.

125 gallon (6ft) Build:
3x 250w Metal Halide Fxitures/Ballasts- 14,000k
BRS GFO/Carbon Reactor
Marineland 300 Skimmer (i have not had the problems, i see people online have had with this skimmer. in fact, its one of the better ones i have used)
Mag9.5 Return pump
Mag5 return pump to power chiller/media reactor/maybe another item in the future. still reading on bio-pellets.
Unidentified chiller, which is a good size. bought it from a person who was using it on a 200 gallon system, so it should be good for mine.

40 Gallon Frag build (4 ft long x 20" deep x 11 tall)
Kessil a360w (lighting 3ft of the tank)
Kessil a150 (lighting the other foot)
i might upgrade the lights later. not sold on these LED's yet. LOVE HALIDES :)
a new Marineland 300 Skimmer (Should be more than enough for 70 gallons in total)
Mag5 Return pump
ill be adding a GFO/carbon reactor when the tank cycles. as such with the 125, i wont install the media reactor or skimmers til they are cycled. why waste electricity & media?

another big thing slowing me down on these tanks, is the fact they are being set up in my office where i have to at least pretend im working most of the time : ) in spite of that, i am almost done. i only have to cure my live rocks, which i bought from a questionable source, so i dried them out, cured them, cleaned them off, and now they will be in RO for another week.

more pics. i will be attaching the halide fixtures and ballasts for the 125 tomorrow, and the kessils for the frag tank. lets see which tank gets better growth. i am currently pouring up 125 gallons of water, so it should take me the next 3 days for that.

the frag tank is made by DSA. here is a picture of the update. i have added the metal halide fixtures, after cleaning them and spraying them black. i hung them up with chains, and neatly fixed the wires in place and hung the drivers to the wall. ill work on making it neater. tomorrow, i'll mount the LED's for the frag tank. the rocks will take another week or 2 to cure fully. dont want to take any chances. i just need to buy the plumbing and ill have everything i need to set up both tanks.

my rocks are finally dried out completely so i set up my rockscape with the limited amount of rock i had. i have a a couple huge 40lb maze skeletons among the rocks. i put 130lbs of live sand in this 6ft tank, and its more than enough for a 3 inch sand bed. i couldnt tell the difference from 120lbs. i just added 10 more for good measure. i have a couple bags left i might use for another project. i originally planned on using 160lbs from what i read online. i think that would have been too much. it took a few hours to fill up and when i turned it on, one of the bulkheads was dripping heavily. its a good thing i resealed the tank, because i was able to just drain the overflow and come back the next day with pliers. the water sat overnight, but i immediately tightened the bulkhead and fixed the leak. the tank is now up and running for 13 hours now and is getting clearer. i turned on just one 250 watt halide just to see what it looked like and it looks like that one would be enough for 80% of the tank? i can only imagine how bright it will be when i turned on all three. i have them about 14" off the surface of the water. i wont install the skimmer or start the fuge until the tank is cycled. it might take a little while longer since the rocks are all 1000% dead. ill keep posting pictures as i make progress. contemplating getting a couple damsels in 2-3 weeks to help speed up the cycle.

30vceoy.jpg
alt="">

2hoefd2.jpg
alt="">

esp7ip.jpg
alt="">

sd3afk.jpg
alt="">

so i finally got the frag tank set up for the most part. i got the one kessil 360w on top of it now, which i will leave off for the cycling process. just turned it on for pics. the GLASS IS SO SCRATCHED ITS SICKENING that i paid so much money for it. it literally looks as if a kid scratched the entire surface on purpose. it seems almost impossible that someone would allow their tank to be so scratched, but i got dooped. be extra diligent when purchasing glass or equipment folks, and dont buy at night. you will miss so much, it will break your heart when you examine it in the morning. i am thoroughly disappointed. anyways, the tank is up. the other kessil a150 is on the 28 nano i will be taking down here in the next week or so. i will place it over the dark end of the frag tank. i put 40 lbs of dry rock in the refugium and put some mysis shrimp in each tank to start the cycle. i also have a pice of filter floss over the overflow pipe to lessen the noise of the water. i ran out of filter socks. ill have to go buy some tonight. this set up looks a ton better than the last stuff i got, but i still wish i would have bought new. i barely saved any money. lesson leaned. ill have to upgrade both of these in the next few years again. next time the tanks will be new. i plan on continually updating this threat as i add rocks, fish, corlas, etc.

33adouf.jpg
alt="">
2llkfwl.jpg
alt="">
14wvdeg.jpg
alt="">
20adv83.jpg
alt="">
2ptrs5g.jpg
alt="">