12" SPS Cube

Ok, I had mentioned before that I was interested in doing a SPS nano/pico with minimal equipment. My end product turned out to be a 12" 7.5g Mr. Aqua Cube, with a Rena XP1 for running chemi-pure elite and a MP20 (already had it sitting around). Lighting will be a fishneedit.com 150w MH with 14k phoenix bulb. So here it goes .

Wish me luck.

pics were taken during the first run with RO/DI water only. Will be building the rock scape this week . Really just watching evap , and temp swings from MH. Not sure , but may order an ice probe chiller if the heat gets crazy. I took a really old POS end table/cabinet, that was in our garage to run this until I can go to IKEA and find a cool stand for it.

Couple of FTS :

DSCF8084.jpg
alt="">
DSCF8083.jpg
alt="">

Filtration :

DSCF8085.jpg
alt="">

Still need to install in-line heater.

VIDEO - just a bit of wave action from the vortech :

alt="">

Looks fun. Bare bottom I assume. Any reason you don't go with a small LED setup? - prob wouldn't have the heat issues.

I didn't notice at first the last one was a video. That vortech works good in there. I wonder how all that will change as you add rock work? you shooting for any particular types of SPS? Any fish?

Nothing set in stone yet as far as exact sps pieces. If I do a fish, it will probably be a Tang or Trigger of some sort.

j/k
LOL.

I see this thread has taken a turn to the more serious side of things. LOL so lets keep it going... how about a baby dolphin ?

If your going to do it might as well do it right, pick up a sea turtle hatchling off craigslist, [smilie=rofl.gif]

A few sea hares to maintain the algae... 3 or 4 should do it. If you have trouble with lighting I would drop the MH and just sit a few desk lamps on either side... maybe put it in a window. Forgo the mp20 in favor of a paint stick. ;-)

On another note... let's keep the talk of me buying that mp10 going. I'm ridiculously interested. lol.

hoping to have a bit more tomorrow.

and matt, you may be on to something. that paint stick might be what makes this baby shine. [smilie=rofl.gif]

Thanks Marc, hoping to get this thing looking more like a reef this weekend. Gonna hit up a few LFS and see if anyone has decent Live rock. The selection lately has been crummy from some of what I have seen. If anyone here has a nice piece they are willing to part with let me know.

You could check my LR vat. I have quite a bit on hand.

We have ROX !! and a bit of sand (probably coming out though)

DSCF8088.jpg
alt="">

DSCF8089.jpg
alt="">

DSCF8090.jpg
alt="">

water was still a bit cloudy at pic time, but has cleared since will update pics this weekend

@kuyatwo wrote:
have you recorded the heat when you have the mh and vortech on? said:
OK the offical heat test will happen today. I will run the light far longer than it would run once the tank is stocked, just to note temp throughout the whole day.

8:30 a.m. temp 78* filter - on MP20 - on MH - off heater set @ 78*

9:00 a.m. MH - on

9:56 a.m. temp 82*