100 Gallon Tank Change

I've had my reef for 5 years. I haven't taken good care of it since my job change a year ago.
I'm switching to a used 110 gallon tank because we are putting down new flooring (and I always wanted something other than my 55)
Current tank:
55 gallon show - not drilled
sump with bio-balls and sponge (have not cleaned in 2 years)
refugium - took off line 2 months ago (yukky mess!)
Gen-X pump
Skimmer disappeared when I set it outside to clean and ran an errand
Rio 1700 return pump
(2) 250 watt Coral Life Magnetic Halides
(1) 4' actinic
(1) 5 year old Ocellaris
(1) 2 year old Brown Tank (the kids)

Most experienced aquarist know what my readings are but here goes.
Nitrates 200 +
Alk ok, a little on the low side
Nitrite and Amonia 0
PH high

I will post pictures of the old tank and the new one. I'm not sure if I will build a new stand yet...well see.

You've me the kids, so here's some other photos.

This photo shows (2) types of sponge - the yellow one is obvious but the little white ball one to the right is another.
There are also orange ball anenomes (which I found out are actually a type of mushroom)
There are some bristle worms.
Some other fan type worms.
And a lot of gunk that has built up over the last year. I think a crab lives under that rock. I once put a tile in there to see if the clown fish would lay eggs on it and he hid between it and the glass - wish I had my camera back then.

I just got some LS (live sand) from a fellow member and it had this Whelk. My plan was to kill him but he is in my sump right now. If you find one like this, according to Marc, here is what distinguishes a Whelk from the good guys. One is the zebra pattern on the...hmmm? 'Snout' I usually call it but I think there is an eyeball on it (I'll have to get a better photo) and the plate that covers the back of the foot (which is black and folded in on the first photo).

First order of business - get an RO DI for good water.
I haven't explained where I'm going with the new reef. I want a few more fish of which I would like either another ocellaris clown or a pair of cardinals that I can get to mate (but I'm not sure if the cardinals can handle the flow). Not sure if I would hatch myself or sell the eggs - research!
As far as inverts. I would like an anenome, probably a sherman, some mushrooms, and some polyps to start - easy stuff.
When I bought the new tank I also bought (1) new 250 watt MH with Coral Life electronic ballast (no more magnettic - 'thing sounded like a power plant starting up). But I know I need more but it will have to wait.
I'm looking at a good skimmer - Euro Reef RC180 or Deltec if the deals good.

Thought I got a good deal on a RO DI. There were two for sell but I think the other guy got some of my stuff. For $75 I got the RO DI set up with a TDS inline meter. (Total Disolved Solids)
I don't think the owners new what kind of shape it's in so I don't blame them and they helped me out with the sand.
The TDS meter doesn't work. There was no DI material, the other cartridges had gunk on them, the membrane housing was leaking which rusted the bracket almost through around the screws, the regulator valve was missing, most of the fittings to hook it up were missing so by the time I got done I paid more for this one than I would have a new one.
Here's the rusted bracket.

First I had to sand it down and repaint it.
I went to Marc Melev's and got new filters, fittings, clips, and a portable TDS. I forgot to get the hose attachment and the y-adapter for the washing machine from him but the HW store had them as well as the Rustoleum paint.

Last night it leaked a little from the membrane housing because the worn out o-ring got pinched when Marc and I reassembled it but I flipped it around and no leaks. But you can really see the rust stains on the housing still.

Hmmm, $75 for used RO unit, $75 for new o-rings, filters, fittings, $50 worth of paint and other hose and fittings, a lot gas and time, fortunately I have the experience and tools to fix the bracket...going to get one from Marc for $169 new...you bet, priceless!

Bad news, I took out the bio balls tonight as well as the sponge filter and I have a mini cycle going on.
I didn't like the noise of the water hitting the bottom of the sump so I put in a couple of pieces of live rock (which was now dead rock) from the old refugium (which I have been circulating the water and adding a little - sometimes) into the sump. :no:
BAD!
Good news, I have a functioning RO DI that is putting out 2.5 gallons of water an hour so I'm doing water changes at 2 am!
The Amonia has held at 0.25 and the Nitrite is holding at 0.05 ppm.

Here's my process if anyone has to do it.
Make 5 gallons in a bucket, put in the salt, add a heater and get it to 80 degrees, and circulate water with a small pump. By the time the next 5 gallons of RO DI is ready you can add the first bucket and keep going.
Some have said do larger changes and it makes more of a difference. For example, this method has not changed the 200+ reading on Nitrates (unless it went from 350 to 200). I've change out about 20 - 25 gallons. Now for another test.

Yeah! I've got about 10 min to go on the amonia test but the nitrite eat'n critters have balanced it out and so far the amonia isn't changing colors.
:D
Yep, 2 min to go and it's still 0.
When I gave the first set of numbers they were close enough to the next set of numbers for the alarm.
I'll check it in the morning.

Your cycle relates to too many changes at once. Your tank is adaptive but when you put old rock in it had organic material on it and started to decay, then you pulled all the biological filtration ( bio balls ) out at once, so you had decaying organics and not enough capacity to break it down.

Your live rock will develop enough bacteria to handle your tank, but you have it give Ma Nature a hand and not rush things.

Be careful with the water changes, if you get salinity or temps way out of whack with the tank, your inhabitants will react and not in a good way.

I think you will find that larger water changes will have more of an effect on diluting the Nitrate. You really should think about a refugium and macroalgae to deal with Nitrate. A remote Deep Sand bed will work too.

wow u have been busy. if i were u i would do a larger water change all at once just make sure every thing the same salt, temp , ph. whats the salt at in your tank? your dont want to change any thing to fast