1/4" deflection in steel stand with no weight

CaravanShaka

Membership Expired
Should I be worried about this?

I didn't notice it when I picked it up from a member, and live 2 hrs from him. I asked him to build it, and he followed my design exactly, but the main beam that is supposed to support the tank dips a full 1/4" in the middle. The tank is 180 gallons, so I can't say I am comfortable with that much weight on a stand that is not flat and level.

Here are a couple pics, it is the front main beam:

IMAG0069_zpsgf1qf1wz.jpg
alt="">

IMAG0075_zpsi4ynxptt.jpg
alt="">

IMAG0077_zpsla7zcges.jpg
alt="">

Thats the most important aspect of a stand is that it be completely flat. If not you will have pressure points on your glass and the weight won't be evenly distributed. I wouldn't put a tank on it unless it was completely flat. For more info checkout the "show us your steel stands" thread in the RC DIY section.

If he won't fix it I guess you can try to shim it under the tank. Most weight is supported on the legs that's where I would be concerned if it's not level.

I would have him redo it personally

Is it me or does the corner looks the the bar isn't flush where they meet

7a3u9yda.jpg
alt="">

They should be flush in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't risk a tank with that much volume not siting perfectly on the stand. I would get it fixed. It should be a simple fix for almost any welder. It appears the piece installed is warped.

Thanks, guys.

How do you feel about adding a center upright that was the correct length to lift that bar to level? It would be a removable brace that would be installed with a jack and bolted into place.

+1 on an easy fix^ that's something that can me moved and as simple as adding extra support. You should be jumping someone's ass for not having a support in the middle anyways

You don't need a brace in the middle if they used thick enough steel.

Why wouldn't a piece of plywood covered in the pink foam not work to even out things for the tank

The piece probably started straight and when the metal cooled it warped a little bit. It could be caused by not having it clamped properly or by welding it to hot.

A center upright should fix the problem:)

Jason

I have 1/2" foam and the tank has a plywood laminate on the bottom. I may add a plywood layer between stand and foam as well, but I am still not comfortable with 1/4". The removeable brace should bring it up enough to make me comfortable.

That said, no center brace was my design, as I wanted to be able to pull out the 48" sump without having to move the stand if something were to cause me to need to. I said at the beginning a removeable upright is fine, but we didn't think it was necessary until the bowing issue came up.

Thanks for all the input guys!

@Jason_b972 wrote:
The piece probably started straight and when the metal cooled it warped a little bit. It could be caused by not having it clamped properly or by welding it to hot. A center upright should fix the problem:-) Jason said:
Close (and too hot probably true) I believe the cause was that he accidentally welded the uprights on the front side that were supposed to be in back. The welds probably sucked in a little, but with the uprights in place it was fine. When he cut them out to put them in back, the metal had a slight bow left. I checked the bottom bar and it is bowed up, which would support this explanation. Again, center brace should fix both.

Good thinking. Center brace will work fine, or you can cut it and have another piece welded in. Either should work.