Search results

1. G

Where does the oxygen come from?

In the event of a power outage. What is critical to keep my fish alive? Where is the oxygen coming from? I have a power head inside the main tank that points up just high enough to make a ripple at the surface of the water. I had thought by breaking the surface, that this was the source of...
  2. G

Oooh that smell

I have noticed that the aquarium water has a smell to it. Also when I stick my arm in there, I got to wash my arm wish soap to get the smell off. I used to run a canister filter but have switched to a sump with skimmer. Do I need to hang a net with carbon in my sump...
  3. G

Please ID

It is dark green, looks like a green peabut smaller, it is translucent. I found two of these just laying on the sand behind my rock.
  4. G

What size return pump?

I have a 75 gallon tank with a 10gallon sump. I like the Danner Mag pumps. What size pump do I need to circulate from the 10 gallon to the 75 gallon. I tried using my mag 7 but it pratically sucked my 10 gallon dry. The single overflow box could not keep up with it.
  5. G

OVERFLOW BOX U-TUBE LOOSING SUCTION

My u-tube in my overflow box is always collecting bubbles. I have to run a piece of air line up from the bottom and suck the bubbles out ... along with a mouth full of saltwater. I am sure something aint right here. Is it common to have to purge the air out of the u-tube every week? Is there...
  6. G

How re-attach a mushroom?

I got some mushrooms (Thanks Double M) and they are currently attached to shells. I want them to attach to my liverock, how do I go about getting them onto the liverock? TIA
  7. G

Mix Water turned Murky

I dumped about a gallon of water into my 5gallon "mixing" bucket, then added a bowl of salt (this bowl of salt when mixed with 5 gallons of water gets my salinity pretty close) I then add 3 gallons of water. Salinity is 1.03, which is fine, I will fine tune it just before I use it. The...
  8. G

Aqua C EV 120

My skimmer does not seem to be working as I had expected. I bought it used from a member. I have a mage 7 driving it. I have never had a skimmer before, so maybe I am missing something here. Do I want the water level in the sump at the same hieght as the outlet port of the skimmer? Do I...
  9. G

Recommend Flow

I have a 75 gallon FOWLR tank and I am going to put a pair of Koralia powerheads in it. What size Koralias should I get?
  10. G

GREEN HAIR ALGAE

I got little patches (1/2" diameter) of what appears to be tall grass. Well over the past 2 weeks it has gotten worse. I have been somewhat successful in drag a neat over the sand and picking it up, but it comes back. I tried the 3 days no lights, I think the green stuff actually liked it...
  11. G

Hydrometer

I just got a salinity refractometer and it read 1.028. My hydrometer reads 1.024. I assume the refractometer is correct. Would you have expected the hydrometer to be so far off? I even tried some rodi water on the refractometer to make sure it reads zero and it did.
  12. G

He's not growing

I have had this guy for over a month and I dont think he is growing. I try to hand feed him a brine or mysis shrimp at least once a week. Any ideas? I think he is a bleached out bubble tip. I have vho lighting. The other 2 bubble tips are looking great. alt=""> .
  13. G

How many different types of Live Rock?

How many different types of live rock are there? Is there one prefered over the rest? Please identify my 2 types of rock, the one to the left is white, the one to the right is dark. alt="">
  14. G

ANEMONE STING

I guess I should have asked this sooner, but do anemone's sting hurt humans? I hand feed my anemone once a week and he looks as though he is trying to sting me (perhaps just tasting), but he soon finds the food (silverside filets) in my hand and directs his interest to it. I have a big hatian...
  15. G

HEATER

Is it important to use a heater with external controller? I have been having bad luck with heaters lately. Any particular brand preferred?
  16. G

ACCLIMATION

I use the drip method to acclimate my new livestock. I put livestock in a one gallon container and set the drip rate for 1 drop per second. Once container is full, I dump half the water out and continue dripping. I keep this up for 2 hours. What is the minimum time I would want to acclimate...
  17. G

DIGITAL SALINITY, PH TESTER

Anyone had any experience with a digital salinty, specific gravity, ph tester? http://www.aquariumsupplystore.com/Productspages/jbj_digi__lab_salinity_specific.htm
  18. G

HOW DO I GET MY HERMIT CRABS OUT FO THEIR UGLY SHELLS

What is the easiest way to "encourage" a hermit crab to abandon his ugly cerith shell and take on a pretty shell?
  19. G

REFRACTOMETER

I need to buy a refractometer. What do I need to look for? Any particular brand? How much would I expect to pay?
  20. G

DIY REFUGIUM

I want to make a refugium out of a 20gallon high tank, or am I just dreaming? Do you think there is enough room for a skimmer, refugium and a return pump area in this tank? Or should I scratch the refugium and just make it a sump? Why do refugium have 3 partitions as a bubble trap, wouldn't...