Recent content by TCU Reefer

1. T

Dolomite

Anyone run dolomite in their calcium reactor? I ordered some through PA since it was only $12 bucks so I thought I'd give it a shot to help with Mg buffering. http://tinyurl.com/8c6d8p Any experiences with this product or dolomite in general?
  2. T

Clean your water storage containers!

So as I was making some RO/DI water the other day, I noticed my DI filter was getting pretty orange so I decided to take the TDS reading inside my Brute trash can that I've been using for the past 18 months. Over 850 TDS!! :o Marc came by later that night to deliver a new set of filters and we...
  3. T

ID please

Any ideas? Please no comments about bleach. I just want a generalization of what this might be. Smooth skin piece with deep purple tips, white polyps and a green base. alt="">
  4. T

My VorTech also stopped working

I didn't want to hijack the other thread since my pump failed for a different reason. I don't use a spacer on my pump and just have the black rubber gasket between the glass and the motor. The pump ran very warm and melted a hole right in the center of the gasket which made the pump run very...
  5. T

Anyone ever clean your anti-siphon holes?

The other night, I turned off the return pump before feeding. Walked away for a few minutes to let the food thaw out and come back to find water all over the hardwood floor. :evil: I looked at my sump and it was overflowing! I quickly turned on the return pump but not before about ten gallons...
  6. T

ID?

Got this large piece from Frank's at his anniversary sale last week but I'm not quite sure what it is. alt=""> alt="">
  7. T

How hardy are aiptasia? .02g Aiptaisia pico

I was holding some LR for someone an I noticed an aiptasia on one of them. I kept putting off nuking it with kalk until last night. I got my slurry and my syringe ready and as I looked in the fuge section in the sump, it had wandered on the very top of the LR pile. Never seen wandering...
  8. T

What ever happened to peterlin?

Does he still have his tank up and running? Any updates on how it's doing?
  9. T

Steve Weast's tank crashed

For those who don't know who Steve Weast is, he has one of the most amazing tanks that most reefers looked up to. Here's a link to his thread on RC and his home page. http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_gallery.htm http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1080179 Part of me...
  10. T

TCU Reefer's growth sequence thread (updated 5/6/07)

It's almost been a full year since my system has been running and it's just starting to get to the point of stabilizing and keeping consistent parameters. A lot of my corals have not grown much but are now starting to take off. I'm starting this thread to document the growth sequences of a few...
  11. T

Ever seen or heard of blistering acros?

This is an occurrence with acros that cause a bubbling effect within the corals tissue. Some believe this may be rapid growth too fast for the coral to keep up, other hypothesize it may be some sort of tumor within the coral. I have not found the cause or cure for this phenomena. Here's a...
  12. T

ID anyone?

Picked up this nice piece this weekend but I'm not quite sure what it is. My pictures don't portray the true colors of this piece. It's lime green/light yellow with light pink tips. It doesn't look as white in person as it does in these pics. Anyone have an idea what it may be? alt="">...
  13. T

Ever seen a Ca reactor media meltdown? (pics)

If not, here you go. alt=""> alt=""> My piece of crap MJ 1200 feed pump shut down so no new tank water was being fed to the reactor. In conjunction with that, I may have incidentally bumped into the pH monitor which the solenoid was controlled by. When I looked at the monitor, the pH...
  14. T

Finding Mag Flake locally during icy weather

Does HD and Lowe's stock up on Mag Flake during weather such as we're experiencing? I know they almost never carry it normally but didn't know if these circumstances would change given the current weather conditions.
  15. T

Water changes; Volume vs. Frequency

Does performing 5 water changes per week at 10g each time have the same impact as doing one large 50g water change weekly on a larger reef (200g+)? Pro's and con's of each method?